1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 things every self-respecting man over 30 should own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 4, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Have a took box, not a tool kit.

And you don't need jumper cables if you don't own a car.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you don't have a car, you don't need jumper cables until you're 50+ [/speakingfromexperiencetellingtoomuch]

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The list says you've got to have jumper cables. Who are you to dispute that?
    Just Pep Boys and get the damn cables already.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Decent list, though I disagree on a nice wallet. I have carried a money clip for 15 years and will never go back to the wallet. Just encourages you to carry around too many cards and other crap.

Flasks are also overrated, though I do keep one in my golf bag because, well, sometimes my game needs a nip or five.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Talking to me?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker myself -- beer and wine, generally, thankee -- but a flask can save you a TON of money on the golf course.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've got 30 of the 40. I had a great book collection until I gave them away about a year ago because there was no room in the house for five bookcases. Of course, we moved this summer and now I have tons of room in my basement office.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that was probably the biggest WTF? item on what I thought was an otherwise solid list.

I agree on the money clip. I used one until I stopped carrying cash.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some people claim to really like the sound. Who am I to question their motives? I would guess, also, that there is a nostalgia aspect to them, the same way a lot of people swear by a print newspaper over a Web, tablet or smartphone version.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Even Jackie owned one; financial reasons, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6v6C3lZ9Ic0

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is pretentious, and it shows that your musical taste is stuck in a time warp, because there isn't much new music coming out on lps.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's a lot of new music coming out on LPs.

Draft saved Draft deleted