1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 things every self-respecting man over 30 should own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought this was pretty interesting... I also like that it's not from Esquire and the list, with items that nobody who makes under $250K can afford...

I have all except the record player. I own records, but we got rid of our record player when we moved to our current house nine years ago. To be fair, my wife has the lint roller and sewing kit, but I do know how to sew, at least enough to fix a button or something like that.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinabarca/things-every-self-respecting-man-over-30-should-own

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No self respecting man should own a soccer ball

3. Mizzougrad96

We have two... One is autographed by the 2006 World Cup team that one of my best friends sent as a baby gift (He used to work very closely with the national team, does not anymore). As much as I appreciated the gift, both of my kids have zero interest in soccer. The other one was from the team he used to work for. Another thoughtful gift that is not properly appreciated in a house that revolves around football, basketball and karate. :D

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I have 14 of them. But I also don't respect myself so that's about right.

5. Boom_70

Glad you did not say it's was your son's prized possession. It would have made
    me feel bad then.

I have a really nice flask but never seem to have the right opportunity to use it. Maybe
    I need to go to a few Ivy League Football games in my raccoon coat.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No self respecting man should own
    [​IMG]

7. Boom_70

Is that suppose to convey the senior citizen Boca look?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have 28 or 29 of them, I think. Some were on the fence - I don't have all those glasses, but I have a bunch of beer glasses I bought at Target or Meijer one day that has served me and my guests well. And a set of proper wine glasses that never get used. But some of them are because my wife has them, like the skillet. But community property and all.

She goes wrong right off the bat, though. Every man should not own a tailored black suit. Every man should own a tailored charcoal suit. Black suits are for funerals and that's about it.

So, among the things I don't have on the list: A black suit. A watch. A record player. A French press. In fact ... what is a French press?

9. Boom_70

Yea - the black suit is a bit too hipster. It seems like it makes every list of this type.

French press is too much work.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I turn 30 in a couple months. Guess I should start taking notes....

11. Boom_70

To that list I would add a couple of good quality well washed t colored shirts

12. Mizzougrad96

I have a flask that I got as a groomsmen gift. I've never used it. I have a really expensive bottle of scotch (MacAllan) that has never been opened and will probably never be opened. That was also a groomsmen gift.

Draft saved Draft deleted