1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Police Officers Shot After Traffic Stop in Oakland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are we really going to look for excuses for people who taunted the police after two -- at the time -- of their fellow officers had just been killed?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't think that's what LTL was going for ...

3. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

Terribly, terribly tragic.

What the hell is wrong with people?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tnx, KYSports. I'm not trying to excuse the taunting. I'm just trying to explain why the "police good, dead guy bad" assumption does not automatically prevail in that community.

If I were reporting it, I'd have two questions right off the bat:

1) Are there always two cops on a random traffic stop? Out here in WhitePersonLand, where I've had my fair share of speeding tickets, I have never been stopped by more than one cop. I'm not saying this isn't procedure, I don't know either way, but it's worth checking out.

2) The officers who conducted the stop were sergeants. Is it standard procedure for sergeants to be conducting, in the words of the police, a "routine traffic stop"?

Questions, I'm saying. Not accusations. Just questions worth asking.

5. YankeeFan

Yeah, except that at the time of the taunting, it was "police dead, killer on the loose".

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's not looking for excuses. It's providing context.

7. YankeeFan

What's the point of the context if not to excuse the behavior? What purpose does the context serve for you?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, I wish I saw everything in such black and white terms.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure it won't be long before Nancy Pelosi will be publicly chastising the police for doing their job too well........

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The point of context is so that you can draw conclusions based on the entire story, not just some of it. In this case it tells me that the taunters might have venting their anger over a recent, highly questionable shooting by the authorities, rather than being so twisted that they just think it's fun to mock grieving cops. You can view one a little differently than the other without condoning it either way.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I see so if you are poor or black or just don't like your lot in life, it is OK to riot and kill police officers, especially if you think they may have killed someone in your neighborhood without justification......

Now that we have that straight........

We have laws in this country and a system of justice for a reason. And if this cop did kill someone unjustly, he'll be brought to justice for it -- of course, it doesn't matter because the community has already "evened the score".....

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Who are you arguing with? Yourself? Because nowhere did I say that it's OK to riot and kill police officers, or any of the other stuff you rambled about. Not surprising, of course, that you would take someone's position, stretch it into something unrecognizable, and then try to pick it apart. It's your standard operating procedure. I'm not interested in playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted