1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$4.00 Gas??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Would You pay $4.00 for Gas If $1.00 of each gallon went to pay down deficit?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    86.2%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With gas prices dropping some have suggested a federal tax to keep gas prices high with hope of promoting consevation.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I've paid enough for the ineptitude of Bush and the Idiot Swath of middle America who put the criminal in office twice.

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

This isn't such a bad idea, although I still think you'll see something like a flat tax get bandied about before a notion like this takes off.

Or we could do what the moron in one of my classes suggested back in the day: Why can't the treasury print more money to cover our debts?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's always good when you follow the lead of the Germans... :)

5. Boom_70

The deficit was there before Bush. What if added benifit is fuel conservation?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Deficit was not there before Bush. FrankenBoom misspeak. Grrrrrrrr. Surplus before Bush. Deficit bad. "Benifit" good. Surplus better. Grrrr.

7. Boom_70

Am I to assume then that you believe that the deficit as calculated is accurate. I've heard the argument put forth that the way deficit is calculated is not correct.

If that is truly the case there has been a deficit for a long time.
    I've paid enough for the ineptitude of Bush and the Idiot Swath of middle America who put the criminal in office twice.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Between Bush the Bungler and Fucking Grandpa Reagan, we've run up about 80% of our national debt.

The two toughest talkers on fiscal responsibility.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I've "heard the argument put forth" that the moon is made of green cheese. Doesn't make it so.

CBO/GAO/White House, 2000 Budget Surplus, $230 Billion
    CBO/GAO/White House, 2006 Budget Deficit, $400 Billion

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why are you even attempting to use logic and facts with this fucking retard?

I mean, it's not like he's going to all of a sudden say, "hey, you know what? You're probably right, and I've been dumber than a donkey's dick this whole time."

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I know I can't stop Boom. I can only hope to contain him. What if some impressionable youngster wandered in here and there were no rebuttals to Boom's drivel?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not just no, but HELL no, for three reasons:

1) If $1 out of $4 goes to pay the deficit, that means the base price of gas is still $3 per gallon. The oil companies are still getting rich and nothing changes.
    2) I don't trust the government to spend any money wisely. They get something like this, and it's just another way to get their hand in my pocket. Within five years, they'd either divert it to other uses or piss it all away and say they need more.
    3) No matter what some environmentalists say, no matter what economists say, a good chunk of the country was getting crushed financially when gas was at $3 per gallon. We can handle it for a while. But make it a permanent or long-term thing, and you have to either raise wages significantly (and end up with inflation) or slide into a recession because the only thing people can afford is gas.

Draft saved Draft deleted