1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$4.00 Gas Part 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Would You pay $4.00 For Gas If $1.00 went to Alternative Fuel Research?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In effort to promote conservation would you be willing to pay $4.00 for gas if $1.00 went to alternative fuel research?

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

What, you mean GM hasn't built an engine that you fuel by stuffing corncobs in your tank yet?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

“What if I could show you how you could save money, would that be of interest to you?”

“What if I told you that you could capture more market share, would you like to hear how we can help you do this?”

“What if our system saved you time, would that be of value to you?”

“What if I matched our competitor’s price, would you buy it?”

Boom, manipulative selling techniques are the oldest trick in the book.

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

And if it's old, JR has known about it for about five decades.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm saying yes, but at that price, it wouldn't just go to research, it would need to go to development and to build an infrastructure of fuel/recharge stations and incentives to buyers of the newfangled cars.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

With all due respect, they take tax for things we don't even benefit from. A $1 tax for research? When teams opt to take taxpayer money to build stadiums, it's like three cents per person, isn't it? A $1 tax seems quite steep.

Taxpayers like owners like Steinbrenner and Jerry Jones, who pay for stadiums themselves.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'd love to vote in this poll, but the whole premise seems like a pipe dream.

Who would be controlling this money put toward "alternative fuel research"?

The government? This government? I see a lot of the money going to junk science if that's the case... as well as corruption, changing of documents, etc. etc.

Or would the money go to oil companies like Exxon? Oh, right, Exxon -- the company that last week quietly ended one of the "alternative fuel research" programs it had boasted about, when it was discovered they were handing huge checks to nutty propagandists who say the Earth really isn't getting any warmer.

Or how about let's give the money to BP, who spends millions on an ad campaign telling us how 'green' they are, when the exact opposite is true.

No Boom, this liberal actually thinks it's better to let the free market work on some of these problems. And looking at things like Toyota's sales figures, the free market is off to a pretty good start.

The free market helping to put an end to our oil addiction -- a concept that must terrify conservatives.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust the government to handle the pile of dog shit in our back yard.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for chiming in, Biff.

[​IMG]

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Another good one by the resident anti-American and chief Canadian buffoon.

Hey JR, any CFL receivers try to kill themselves yet today? No? Well, hey, that's another potential thread from you, right? Obviously, CFL receivers are WAY ahead of the NFL ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted