1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

37 frat bros charged in hazing death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's rough.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I guess where we differ on this is that I don't view it as a matter of "belief," which reduces the act of rape to something that happens in a woman's mind instead of the violent, physical assault that it actually is. And don't be obtuse. It wasn't the pointing out of her actions that were a sign of misogyny. I think we pretty much hashed out both of our views on this on the other thread, so there's no need to rehash it here.

As I said, I was just busting your balls about defending frats. Carry on.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Patrick Kane's life is "ruined" now, too.

4. Dick Whitman

Except that it's not always a "violent, physical assault[.]"

And it does not "reduce" it to "something that happens in a woman's mind." Human beings frequently misinterpret one another. I'm not sure how you would suggest I phrase it. You have the #ISupport88 community - and I told the story of my circle of friends, who matter-of-factly say she's extorting him, even though I doubt any of them would know how to get on Twitter even if you spot them the "T" and the "w" - banging the, "She's lying!" drum. I see no sign that she's lying, or otherwise equivocal. Consent is hers to give, and I don't think she gave it. But that doesn't mean that the accused didn't reasonably interpret her actions that way. We just don't know.

5. MisterCreosote

Take that shit back to the slut-shaming thread.

6. Dick Whitman

What is controversial about what I said?

Again: States and universities are passing affirmative consent laws to deal with this precise issue.

7. MisterCreosote

This is a thread about frat bros killing a pledge, not hockey bros raping women.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds juts like your typical frat:

Pi Delta Psi’s Baruch colony, founded in 2010, was designed to help Asian-American students — many of whom were the children of immigrants — find a place in the pecking order of a school buzzing with aspiring businesspeople.

For Mr. Deng, a competitive handball player who graduated from the Bronx High School of Science, the group offered “the possibility of personal connections, friendship, a sense of belonging to the Asian community, and having access to some of those connections because he intended to be involved in international business,” a family lawyer, Douglas E. Fierberg, said on Tuesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/16/n...ing-death-case.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Actually, this part does sound like a typical Frat -- or college football program, or local police department, or...

After 10 minutes, Mr. Deng “started sucking air and making snoring sounds,” one member said. Some students noticed his pupils did not dilate.

They reached out to the fraternity’s national president at the time, Andy Meng, who told them by phone to hide everything showing the group’s symbol, according to the grand jury report. One member told the police that “the protocol is to first put away fraternity letters, paddles, banners etc.,” to shield the organization.

The brothers grew nervous, but not nervous enough to call an ambulance.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like a front for the Flying Dragons.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It does sound like a typical frat, in some ways. Frats can do stupid stuff even if they don't include caucasians.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The minute I read about that they had Asian surnames, I knew it was one of the Asian-American fraternities (in CA they started showing up in mid 80's IIRC). I had already joined one of the established ones when they started on campus but I went to some functions that my buddy had joined; yeah they did the same stupid sh*t we did. We did some stupid sh*t, but I can honestly say we never got close to going over the line to putting someone at risk intentionally (of course chugging alcohol was not considered intentional harm then)

12. Dick Whitman

I know I'm the "fratbro guy" here, but I just don't like when people say this behavior is "typical" in fraternities. It's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted