1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35W - soon to be reopen for traffic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

New 35W Bridge To Open Thursday Morning

After making several trips to the Twin Cities in the last couple weeks, with a couple requiring major detours because of the bridge collapse, I'm glad to see the Cities traffic will return to normal.

But I'll be honest, I don't know how long it will take for me to get the nerve up to cross the new bridge.

Irrational? Yeah, most likely. I doubt I'm the only Minnesotan to feel that way.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Do I need to cross it to get to the stadium for a Vikings' game?

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Depends on which way you go.

I went to the Twins game last weekend and went the way I always do - 280 to 94 West to Fifth Street. Gone that way for more than 20 years. :)

Rarely did I take 35W south to the Dome. Only once in a great while.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If I'm coming from the airport toward the stadium, would I not have to cross it?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good. That bottleneck between the Decatur cutoff and Loop 820 has been a pain in the ass.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I read in USA Today this morning that someone was complaining they didn't build an "architectural jewel."

What the hell do people want? It's done ahead of schedule, it looks massive and imposing, it's practical, and probably done at or near budget. (Who expects less from Midwesterners?)

Bridges and highways are supposed to safely and efficiently move traffic from point A to point B. As long as it works, is safe, and isn't hidious to look at, who cares if it's not the Golden Gate Bridge?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

awful quick... but good for them...

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

http://www.startribune.com/photos/?c=y&img=M4286837.JPG

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thanks for posting that... Got sick of trying to find a photo on the strib site. All I ever saw was video and I didn't want video, just wanted to see what the bridge looked like.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Five lanes? That's pretty sweet.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sure, till you hit Crosstown and sit for five hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted