1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35 years since the ultimate screw job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 10, 2007.

1. I doubt Iba was keeping the black man down.
    Remember that Texas Western team that won the title with all black starters? It was coached by Don Haskins, who played for Iba. His assistant was Moe Iba, Henry Iba's son.
    I know we're talking about another generation, but I simply don't think there's anything to that assertion.
    Now, you can talk about him slowing the game down too much and I won't argue.
    Do you all know the story about Bob Knight giving Iba his gold medal?

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Wasn't Iba considered a dinosaur even back then. I believe he started coaching in late 20s and his best teams were in the 40s. Yet we'd appointed him U.S. team coach for 3 or 4 straight olympics, meanwhile guys like John Wooden sat home.

3. Come on. The fifth down was Colorado. Nebraska punished CU for it when Osborne voted the Buffs like fifth because they should have lost the game. That's why they split the title with Georgia Tech.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do share as us kids scramble to gather around and hear.

5. He won national titles in 44 and 45, so yes, he was pretty old.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Stardouche:
    The average margin of victory in '64 was 30+ in an era when the game was far different than it is now.
    I'm sorry that that is not enough blood-letting for you, asshole.

And, yes, mmac. Iba was far too old school but so was the pompous USOC at the time.

7. See, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
    My statement wasn't meant to be condescending. I hope it doesn't read that way.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No, Okie, I'd love to hear it. Just making a crackback at my not-so-elder status on this thread.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I love Starman, but this still was funny.

10. I'm trying to find a link and having no luck, so maybe it's just an urban legend in this state, but the story goes that Knight -- who is a HUGE Iba fan -- gave Iba his own gold medal from the 1984 Olympics to make up for Iba not getting the 1972 one.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, wicked, what you children -- and even non-children like the asshole who is starman -- don't understand about Bob Knight is the respect he has for old-time coaches like Iba, Claire Bee, Joe Lapchick, Nat Holman et al ..
    Knight tells great stories of going to clinics as a young coach at Army to learn "the way the game should be played" from the old masters. He always has idolized them.
    When his Olympic team won in '84, Knight gave his gold medal to Iba to make up for the one that was "stolen" from him in 1972.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Us children are willing to learn, Gramps.

Draft saved Draft deleted