1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

34th America's Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NZL is just thumping USA in this. It's not even close.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep, Oracle is getting boatraced.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And I've been shocked not to hear a few expletives on the live feed from the USA boat. I can only assume NBCSN is using a delay to prevent us from hearing the sailors cussing like themselves.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Holy crud. NZ almost capsizes and the US leads an upwind leg by 200 meters. I think I've seen it all.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Today could be the day the America's Cup goes back down under, 29 years, 358 days after Australia II beat Dennis Conner and Liberty in Newport, R.I. Oracle leads right now in Race 12, but still trails in the series by a huge amount. I don't see NZ getting swept today.

6. DanOregon

If anyone is still jonesing for watching some sailing, there was a movie made in the 90s about the America's Cup with Matthew Modine and Jennifer Grey called "Wind." It really is a pretty good movie (Ebert liked it) - and makes me hope they go back to the single-hulls even more.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So we could actually lose a best-of-9 series by six races? Cool.

Never been a big fan but catamarans make me even less of one. And "Wind" is a fun movie. The sailing is spectacular. So are the two topless Aussies dancing on the quay when the boats pull into the Freemantle harbour, or wherever they filmed it.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wow .... Oracle is not making this easy for the Kiwis. Four straight wins, and now it's 8-5. New Zealand has had match point for almost a week. They have to be pretty deflated at this point.

9. DanOregon

8-6. USA! USA! USA!

Too bad they cheated - otherwise it would be tied.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

It's funny how everyone is holding up American flags, considering just one of the 11 or so crew members is from the United States. All of the Emirates team is either from NZ or Australia.

11. DanOregon

US looking good to attempt to tie it up in the second race. Up 200 meters on the upward leg.

12. If I were Team NZ, I'd ask for a teardown of Team USA's boat if Oracle wins the series.

Draft saved Draft deleted