1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 11, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Bob Marley lost his battle with the Big C. Has one band influenced an entire genre of music as much as Bob Marley and the Wailers influenced reggae?

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Beethoven.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'd say the Beatles had a bit of influence on rock 'n' roll.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Name (without google) five other reggae bands or performers. And you cannot use Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer or Ziggy Marley because they are all connected to Bob.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Don Drummond
    Jimmy Cliff
    Desmond Dekker
    Toots Hibbert
    Roland Alphonso

Where's my gold star?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys freaking named their genre. That's influence.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Also, it's pretty hard to overstate the influence of Roy Acuff on country music, both as an artist and as a behind-the-scenes businessman. His music publishing company signed Hank Williams, Roy Orbison and the Everly Brothers.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The better question: has one man influenced more white, doughy frat boys to smoke marijuana in the last 20 years?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Toots and the Maytals
    Desmond Dekker (and the Aces)
    Jimmy Cliff
    Culture
    Lee "The Upsetter" Perry
    BONUS: Sly and Robbie

I would argue that Marley's influence was greater outside of reggae than within it, because a lot of what he had done was influenced by many of the acts listed above. Don't get me wrong -- Marley was great. But he wasn't alone in spreading reggae worldwide. The two albums that brought it to international consciousness were both in 1973: the Wailers' "Burnin'" (while all three original members were there), and the soundtrack to "The Harder They Come." (The movie itself was quite the cult item.)

Listening to today's reggae, I hear much more of a dance hall influence a la Buju Banton than the roots rock of Marley. However, wherever hacky-sack is played, there is Marley.

EDIT: Desmond Dekker actually had the first reggae hit, with "Israelites" in 1969.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

...and to Bob's point, I'd argue that Sly and Robbie are still incredibly relevant and influential today - everything from Reggaeton to indie rock.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think Bob Marley did more than just influence Reggae. His music influenced bands like The Police and The Clash and Ska music in general.

By opening up more Jamaican influence you could even argue that he had a hand in influencing rap music through the "toasting" tradition.

I suppose you could thank him (or not) in an indirect way for Shabba Ranks as well :)

Marley's catalogue holds up incredible well.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's a good question.

Robert Johnson maybe?

Woody Guthrie?

Draft saved Draft deleted