1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years ago today ... Jonestown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, they were alive for about 8 days after the full discovery.

Someone had to have asked them about it, right?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

From what I've read, Moscone deflected the blame that was directed his way. I don't know if Milk publicly commented.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Actually, they just showed a feature on Rob Jones on OTL. And it was Chris Connelly. I just caught the tail end of it, but I think it was a feature taped a couple years ago.

And apparently, ESPN is making a movie about Jim Jones Jr. and Rob Jones.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This really brings back bad memories for me. I remember sitting on the floor watching Wide World of Sports on that Saturday afternoon when the crawl came on the bottom of the screen.
    Turned out Greg Robinson, the SF Examiner photog who was killed at the airport, was my aunt and uncle's wedding photographer.
    Then days later, I remember coming home from school and learning about the Milk-Moscone shootings. It was really a gloomy time in the Bay Area, which up to then for me was a place where everyone seemed to get along, it was the '70s.
    Then the White verdict went down and there was rioting. Crazy and sad time.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Simon_Cowbell

White was the defendant for whom the Twinkies defense was used by Flea Bailey.

Didn't White close it all out with a bullet to his head?

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That audio is available on YouTube and yes, it's grueling to listen to.
    Man was insane.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I may be totally off on this but wasn't there a Monday night game at Candlestick like a night or two after the Moscone thing?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I suppose it's therapeutic on some level, and maybe they want people to know why and how this could happen, but I'm a bit surprised the survivors have been so open about their time there and their survival stories. Something that horrible has got to be gut-wrenching to bring up time and again.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Wow, good grab: On that night, the 1-11 Niners lost to the Steelers 24-7 en route to the Steelers' 3rd NFL title.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I would imagine the survivor guilt is significant.

11. Simon_Cowbell

I just found that pic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was still in radio news in those days. I remember having one of those WTF moments as I was listening to the "actuality feeds" about the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted