1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years ago today ... Jonestown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Where the phrase "drinking the Kool-Aid" unfortunately originated.

I only remember it because I was staying at my grandparents for the Thanksgiving weekend that year and it was all over TV.

Here's a timeline of events leading up to the mass suicide:

http://cbs5.com/local/jonestown.tragedy.timeline.2.867258.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And let's not forget, three members of the media were killed at the Guyana airport along with Rep. Ryan and a Temple defector.

3. KG

KG Active Member

My first legal drink was a Jim Jones.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and this was huge when it happened. I was 14 or so when it happened and I remember the phone just ringing off the hook as my folks and others were trying to figure out who they knew that had died. There were so many people from the area down there that many had a connection to someone. It was not a fun time.

In addidtion, my family had property in Mendocino county and so did the Peoples Temple. The temple made some effort (I don't remember how hard they tried) to do what they did in Guyana in northern California. If I remember correctly, the residents of the area kind of moved them along.

The same thing happened in the same area with the "Moonies" in the mid to late 70's. Not the violence, just an attempt to build a commune.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's a story by a journalist who was wounded in the attack that left the above five people dead:

news.scotsman.com/world/Jonestown-30-years-on-the.4702853.jp

RIP, all the innocent victims.....especially the children who never had a choice and never had a chance. :'(

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The History Channel had a phenomenal documentary on this a year or so ago, and MSNBC had one this weekend. Lots of interviews with the few survivors just telling their stories, including Jim Jones' son (he was in another part of the country and knew his father was nuts). Just absolutely spellbinding.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

CNN Presents had a two hour show this weekend as well.

8. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

The CNN show was phenomenal. It focused on the survivors, but had all the information leading up to the sucides. Then it went on to talk about what the survivors had been doing since. Pretty emotional stuff.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sadly, I'm a Jonestown junkie.

It was actually Flav-r-aid.

Congressman Leo Ryan's assistant on the trip, who was shot five times and lay motionless on the Port Kaituma airstrip for 19 hours, is Jackie Speier.

This year, she joined the U.S. House of Representatives.

One other interesting note/story: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-11-17/they-murdered-my-friend/

Finally, it always bugged me that with all these images of bloated corpses, there has never been a released pic of Jones post-mortem.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I have it on TIVO. Have not watched it yet.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

A sad postscript: one of Rep. Ryan's daughters later joined a cult in India.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wow - that's pretty amazing.

I thought the CNN special was very well done. The audio of Jim Jones exhorting people to drink the cyanide and telling parents why their kids are better off dead is just horrifying.

Draft saved Draft deleted