1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not the greatest 30-for-30 if you're comparing it to others, but the subject was worthy and and a fit for the full 30-for-30 promotional barrage. It had already been shown at the Tribeca film festival, generating publicity, and it's been a topic on Russo's show for months. It's even an advertisement for ESPN Radio, in a way. Saying it should have been a short is silly, the shorts are great stories but very niche-y and impossible to sell nationally. This one was easy.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This thread proves that there is no interest in the Mike and Mad Dog documentary and that no one will watch it.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yup. A thread on a sports journalism board about a documentary about sports talk blowhards certainly is a barometer for the mass appeal of a program.

Join us tomorrow for "large amount of golfers watch The Golf Channel."

Stoney likes this.
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Welp. It rated pretty much middle of the pack for 30 for 30s. Certainly not a ratings failure by any stretch.

Just goes to show what journalists think will appeal or won't is not always what will appeal or won't.

If we had all the answers, I suppose we'd be running networks.

Go figure.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How many 30 for 30s debuted on a night on the calendar where there is zero professional sports to watch?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That also focus on a story based in the number one media market.

7. poindexter

8. poindexter

I don't think there's ever been a 30 for 30 that generated less interest than the Georgie Best one.

Anybody make it all the way through?

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'll probably give it a shot, because when I was a kid playing AYSO soccer with my buds (we were the generation that was going to make soccer the biggest sport in the U.S., you know :rolleyes:) we followed the L.A. Aztecs of the NASL when Best was playing for them and we were big fans.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I thought it was great.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Little League one was good. Did Lloyd McClendon not grow after he turned 13. What a douche Jim Palmer was telling Trumbull not be discourage when they're losing by a lot in the third inning.

Draft saved Draft deleted