1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 complaint

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 26, 2012.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Decades? I would say some of the Sports Centuries were better. Just my opinion.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So Netflix is free for a month, and The 2 Escobars is the first of these I have watched other than Bo.

That was great. Got teary a few times.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Give me Outside The Lines (the writing more than the broadcasts, but either works) and Grantland anyday.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those are two different things, Vers. Outside the Lines is journalism. 30 For 30 is filmmaking.

5. Songbird

The Two Escobars is journalism in film format.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe we're parsing too much, but that's just an old-school -- and tremendous -- documentary. It is journalistically sound, faithful to the truth and all that, but it's still a movie. Bigger in scope, bigger budget, etc.

There are elements in that in a few of the movies. But, again, they're movies.

7. Songbird

I'll settle for that. Up next: Marcus Dupree and then the OJ Day of '94.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow, some of y'all are watching a different series than I am. I agree with Lugnuts -- of the first 30 films, all but about 3-4* were absolutely outstanding.

* The U and the Red Sox/Yankees ones were particularly shallow, both owing to the same problem: fanboi directors/talking heads.

But "The Two Escobars"? Marcus Dupree? Iverson? "Once Brothers"? Tim Richmond? Truly fantastic film-making, on all levels.

I will offer this criticism: None of the films after the first 30 have come close to living up to the same standard as Volume 1. I'm talking about the films produced under the "ESPN Films Presents" banner (such as Fab Five, Bartman and Marinovich) or the Volume 2 films (such as "Broke", "9.79", Ole Miss and Bo Jackson.)

But man, that first season ...

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I agree with this for the most part, but I thought "Unguarded" (Chris Herren) was as good as anything in the first group.

10. BenPoquette

Buck, totally agree about "Once Brothers." Had not been mentioned yet and an absolutely outstanding piece of film making.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Did you see Benji? I thought that was on the level of Iverson, Once Brothers, etc.

Catching Hell was really good. It needed one little thing to be a truly elite film, and we all know what (who) that was.

For me Marcus Dupree is #1. Unguarded (not part of the original 30) a close #2. Then there's a tiny drop. Two Escobars #3. Muhammad & Larry #4. Then there's a huge pack of really good films tied for #5, including Once Brothers, SMU, the OJ Day, Ricky Williams, Jimmy the Greek, Fab Five, Winning Time, etc. Then there's a group of entertaining films at #6 like The 'U' and 'Broke,' the Kansas/Naismith Papers doc, Marinovich, the Colts Band, etc. Then there's a few 'just average' and maybe one or two that are thumbs down for me.

Still need to see....

Small Potatoes (USFL)
    Straight Out of LA
    Tim Richmond
    .. a few more of the original 30
    Ole Miss

And Verse... I'm sure there's some fact-checking. Every network has a standards division. These films are put through something, rest assured. BUT the greatness of this series is that there's no formula to the films. They've given the filmmakers freedom. If Billy Corben wants to include a guy spouting off, that's the filmmaker's choice. It's more of an art than a science. For me, that's why this series tops Sports Century. Which, you know, was great in its day.

12. BenPoquette

I thought the USFL one was really dry and boring. I might be the only one here that did not like it very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted