1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#3 retired for Magnuson and Pilote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hall's streak is as safe as any stat in North American pro sports. And the streak ended in 1962- before he started wearing a mask.

Before, Mr. Zero, there was Mr. Goalie. At least he got to win one Cup with Chicago.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

IN-correct.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Before "Mr. Zero", there was "Zero", whose greatest fame came outside Chicago. Name him (no Googling, please).

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I'm operating on way too lttle sleep, but Mr. Zero was the Minnesota guy, yes?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Native of the state, yes, if I'm not mistaken.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Virginia.

7. writing irish

I'm out of my element because this is all stuff from when I was a very little kid, but I think that Tony Esposito's nicknames were "Tony O" and "Mr. Zero" and that he picked those up in his rookie year. He recorded 15 shutouts that season- still the modern-era record. I could be wrong about the Mr. Zero thing- I seem to recall Bob Verdi using that nickname in reference to Esposito but I'm not certain.

Esposito was from SW Ontario. Who was from Virginia?

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Virginia, Minnesota!

EDIT: Well, aren't I the smrt one. Not Virginia, but close. Apologies.

9. writing irish

Teh googles tells me that y'all are discussing Frank Brimsek of the Broonz. Dang, I thought I was turning back the clock a lot, but that turns it back further still.

10. God, Orr hated Magnuson.
    Hated the man.

11. writing irish

Fenian, do you think Orr hated Magnuson because he was such a pest on the ice or was it something more personal?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Frankie Brimsek, known as "Zero", or "Mr. Zero".

Esposito was "Tony O"

No, didn't see him play. Happy enough to have seen Hall, Plante, Sawchuk and Worsley.

Draft saved Draft deleted