1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

29 years ago today ... George Brett went BALLISTIC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Brett was still with the Royals when the McRae blow-up happened. I've heard him say in the past that he walked into McRae's office after it was over and said, "Hal, I missed it. Can you do it again?"

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The McRae meltdown is still legend in our family... and inspired me and my brother to create the second "Hal McRae" rule.

The first, I believe, is that you must be within arms length of a base whilst sliding into it to break up a double play. Didn't he once run over Willie Randolph in short center, or thereabouts? I'm sure Willie had it coming.

But I digress.

Anyway, the highlight of McRae's rant to me is him screaming "Quit asking all those stupid-ass questions!"

Rougly 80 percent of my dad's sentences are in the form of rapid fire questions. What's the weather like there? What's the temperature? When's the last time it rained? How's the car? How's work? What are you watching?

The man could go on for days. So when it got to be too much, me and my brother invoked the second Hal McRae rule... quit asking all those stupid-ass questions.

(Though in fairness, my dad, an avid beaker fan, did turn Greg Ostertag's first name into a verb after watching him fumble so many rebounds and passes in college. It never gets old when he reminds you not to Greg something.)

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If you watch the Hal Mcraezy video close, when he steps out to yell at the reporters, there's a bottle in his hands. It's large and glass. Don't think it was water.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Favorite part of the Brett pinetar story.....after he told Frank that he was going to kill McClelland......he was thinking to himself on the way out of the dugout that this son of a bitch (McClelland) is 6'5 and 240 and has a bat in his hand.....what the hell am I going to do to him?

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

If this had happened in 2012, it would have taken until 2014 for McClelland to call him out.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As the resident Royals' fanboi here...

July 24, 1983. I was eight and watching the game on TV with my late grandfather. That day was his 80th birthday. I can still remember my grandfather's cackle at Brett blowing his stack.

As for the Brett-Nettles fight from 1977:

Go to 3:13 of the clip.

That was Game 5, first inning. Brett slides hard, elbows Nettles. Nettles replies with a little kick and it was ON. The amazing part is that neither was kicked out of the game. Imagine if that happens now. Both would be tossed and suspended.

For the Hal McRae moment, I finally came "face to face" six years ago in St. Louis with Mc. It's a Sunday game for Cubs-Cards and La Russa sends McRae out with the lineup for the umps. I'm sitting behind the Cardinals' dugout and my eyes bug.

"This is your chance!" I say to myself. Fortunately, I was with a friend well versed in the McRae blowup. "Watch this."

I walk up to behind the dugout and McRae makes eye contact with me.

"Did you think about hitting Brett for Miller?" I say in a resonate "broadcast voice" (not yelling as I don't yell... but where he heard it). I had to ask him the question that led to his bar-raising tirade.

McRae smiled and doesn't break stride.

"Not goin' down that road," he chuckled as he stepped into the dugout.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Young Johnny Doolittle must have one heck of a story to tell for his 'stupid ass question.' Alan Eskew takes an epic shot to the noggin there as well, all in good service of baseball history.!

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, the old-school telephone straight to Eskew's face. I worked, for a brief time, in the same town as Mr. Eskew. High respect for his work... and what he endured that night.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just because:

spnited responding to Simon_Cowbell in 2007:

RIP, old man.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Soooo very well played, Buck. Thank you.

RIP, spnited.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BuckW's post should be end of thread, but perhaps this memory is worthy of mention. I happened to be driving in the NYC area during the game and listening to Phil Rizzuto trying to explain what happened was truly special.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted