1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 Years Ago Today....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 23, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Believe it or not ... <a href="http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30284">Pine Tar video proves hard to find</a>.

But if you want to watch it, there you go. (There's a link to the MLB.com video in the story, and the first comment below has an easier-to-view link of Brett's outburst, <a href="http://www.sportaphile.com/2008/07/24/video-25-year-anniversary-of-george-bretts-pine-tar-incident/">here</a>.)

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Yes he was. Also ejected were Dick Howser, Brett and Rocky Colavito.

The winning pitcher was Mike Armstrong.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I recall once hearing the Yankee TV broadcast of the game. I don't remember who the color guy was, but he was actually saying the umpires made the right call, babbling about some rule I'm sure he was making up.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I watched it on WPIX with Frank Messer and Bobby Murcer (recently retired) on the call.
    Murcer knew what was going on from the start.
    Cool seeing Don Mattingly wearing No. 46 in his rookie year.
    Mattingly, a lefty, played second base in the completion of the game.
    I miss those days, White, Messer and Rizzuto on TV; Nettles, Gossage, Randolph, Martin, Cerone.
    Good times.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So I get home this afternoon, and what do you suppose my 5 year old has found to watch on ESPN Classic?

I made some lame excuse as to why I wanted to turn the channel, then had to explain the game to my thoroughly confused wife, who couldn't understand why I wouldn't let him watch a baseball game.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm confused. Why couldn't he watch it??

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Thing that always cracked me up about Brett going crazy, aside from Brett, of course? Seeing the guys on the bench, legs crossed, not moving one bit the moment he went nuts. I always found that funny. Adds nicely to the contrast.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

great trivia question. he was on the yankees a couple years later.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think Gaylord Perry won his 300th game against the Yankees as a member of the Seattle Mariners.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yes and Seaver did also

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Had a similar thing involve us a few years later in high school baseball. I played in Iowa and the state association had a rule about having a line marked or taped a certain distance up the bat from the bottom. I don't know why it was needed -- we used aluminum bats, so there was no need of pine tar. Everyone called it the George Brett Rule.
    Anyway, we're at a bitter rival's field and their top player belts a homer. Only problem is, his bat didn't have the little tape mark. Hey, it was a stupid rule, but rules are rules.
    Our coach appealed, the umpire called him out and their fans and team went nuts. Nothing like what Brett did, but nuts anyway. Good times.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I watched it on ESPN Classic the other day. Still great stuff. I have a picture somewhere of me standing in front of the Brett exhibit (my fave player who never played for my Blue Jays) at the baseball hall (this was way before he was inducted) and as I recall the bat was there.

Didn't they change the rule so you have to call the pine tar thing before the first pitch of an at bat?

Draft saved Draft deleted