1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 best films of the 21st century .. says someone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 4, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well there you go, because I was sitting here wondering how anyone couldn't like Boyhood.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't like it, but I understood what he was going for.

Like Avatar, it'll be remembered more for the sheer feat of getting made than anything else.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've seen 10 on the list ...

I have trouble explaining why I liked Boyhood as much as I did ... Ellar Coltrane kind of fell dead as an actor, but I felt like I went so many of those same experiences that I completely got into it. Linklater's daughter was awful but she was an ancillary character so I could overlook it. Patricia Arquette was the real star, to me. Anyway.

Lost In Translation is one of my top three favorite movies ever. I guess when you travel alone a lot to strange places, you can really get into Bill Murray's character.

Double Down likes this.
  4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Well, I am kinda short but I'm not a megalomaniac and I've never even met Tom Cruise.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Pretentious is the go-to classification for describing shit you've never heard of. It beats saying "I'm ignorant on that matter."

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The funniest thing I heard about Boyhood is that Linklater's daughter begged him to kill off her character halfway through the years' long project because she was sick of the filming.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

1. There Will Be Blood
    2. Life of Pi
    3. The Dark Knight

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pretty good list, several I haven't seen.
    I love Kaufman, but I don't 'Synecdoche' belongs on the list.
    I love Wes Anderson but I don't 'Grand Budapest' is his best. I think 'Royal Tennanbaums' and 'Moonlight Kingdom' were both better.
    I was kind of 'meh' on both 'White Ribbon' and 'The Master.'
    I do not get the appeal of 'Boyhood.' As someone else said, I appreciate the undertaking. I respect that he was able to complete a project of that scope, but in the end I just don't think it holds up well as a movie.

I absolutely love 'Lost in Translation' and 'Eternal Sunshine.'

I liked 'Fury Road,' but one of the best 15 movies of the past 16 years seems like a stretch.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Did you miss the first 15 seconds?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, technicality, but the year 2000 is actually part of the 20th Century, NOT the 21st Century.

So, fuck this list. Understand some math, Neanderthals.

RonClements likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, Inglourious Basterds
    2, Blood Diamond
    3, Children of Men
    4, Little Children

No Country sucked.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also have to say that 'Pan's Labrynth' was f###ing great. It is right up there with 'Lost in Translation' and 'Eternal Sunshine.' Just a great, great movie.

Cosmo and RonClements like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted