1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

247sports Snags A Good One

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline sez:

Wes Rucker, Tennessee beat writer for the Chattanooga TImes Free Press, will join 247sports.com in January - to cover the Vols.

I know Wes and his work. This is quite a get for 247sports.com

Congrats to them. And to Wes.

And another good college beat should be open soon. Between that and the job in Austin, it's a good time to be a college writer looking for a good gig.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What the heck is 247sports.com? Not being a smartass; I honestly don't know.

3. Moderator1

It's fairly new Dools, and I'm not quite sure. Not long before I joined FanHouse, I got an e-mail about it - very brief and vague and I couldn't tell if it was a solicitation for applications or not. They had a big presence at SEC media days and they seem to be serious about adding some good talent like Wes.

Wes has posted here previously under his own name - perhaps he'll stop by and let us know more.

I'd be lying if I said I'd actually been to the site. I will now, with Wes there.

4. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Is this good or bad news? All the prominent sports writers jumping ship for websites. Do they see there's no future with newspapers?

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

From what I understand, the folks who founded Rivals.com and left when it was purchased by Yahoo! had a non-compete clause that lasted an indeterminate amount of time (to me, at least).

They were upset with the fanboy-type of reputation the site had gotten and tried to start something new by using a very similar business model that actually uses real reporters to cover the teams and recruiting at schools across the country.

I believe they're going with a soft launch by covering the largest schools and then expanding as they see fit.

I may be a little bit off, but I know the real reporters for real coverage thing is one of their primary convictions.

6. Moderator1

Am I missing blue font?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good news for a good guy. The Vols will no doubt remain an interesting beat for the foreseeable future.

8. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

Yes, I'm leaving the TFP and starting at 247sports in January. They want legitimate journalists covering teams, or I wouldn't have accepted their offer and neither would Gentry Estes — one of the best beat guys in the SEC.

The guys at 247sports have a great plan, and they're building a great staff, and I'm very excited to join them. I also hate leaving the TFP, though, because it's a great paper with great bosses and great writers. My replacement there will be a very fortunate person, except ... uh ... he'll have to move to Knoxville and cover the circus. It's been a bizarre beat the past few years.

I've had opportunities to leave the TFP, but I couldn't say no to this one. I feel great about the future of 247sports. It's a company with innovative minds and core journalism values. (And they let me keep my daily show on ESPN Radio Knoxville.)

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Anybody hear where 247 is expanding to next? Is there a pattern or is it pretty random?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Will Mr. Rucker still have his radio show?

And will he still "wonder what the rest of you cover in this business"?

Congratulations to him on moving forward. It will be interesting to see what the TFP does with the beat now.

11. Moderator1

I think Mr. Rucker answered the radio question two posts above yours, Piotr

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no idea how old Rucker is, but Chattanooga has a really good rep for hiring young talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted