1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

230 MPG Car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 5, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I just made my reservation. A little more than $15K fully loaded. And it has paddle shifters, so even though the engine has only 70hp, I can make like an F1 driver.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I read this as a 230 MPH car.

And yes, I would be interested in that.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mine goes about that fast when driven off a cliff. Good milage, too.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You'd be looking for one of these then.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They had something on CNN a few days back about a guy who converted a regular engine so it could run on water.

He was going to donate all of the proceeds to his church.

I'm sure he's in an oil drum at the bottom of the ocean by now...

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Typical all-sizzle, no-steak story about this sort of thing -- a lot of very general assertions with no actual evidence to back it up. Notice there was no mention of what it costs, either.

And the Smart is one of the most overhyped vehicles on the road. If parking is an issue, yeah, it makes sense, but otherwise something like a Honda Fit is a much better proposition.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

I don't think it's actually for sale, it's a prototype.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What makes it better? I'm genuinely curious.

It looks like the Smart is cheaper and advertises better fuel mileage. The Fit can seat four people, which is an advantage.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the Smart cars don't have very good quality ratings.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Bingo. Let's see how it measures up to the NHTSA or IIHS tests for safety. I'm not sure how replacing the cameras instead of a rear-view mirror would work.

And agree on the Fit - Honda quality and dealer network, room for four and groceries, resale value likely to last beyond the gas crisis, excellent safety ratings, a proven brand, etc.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The Smart gets better EPA numbers, but uses premium; the Fit uses regular. The Fit is also much larger. From everything I've read, the Smart drives like ass. And as far as quality goes, I have much more faith in something built/designed by Honda than something built/designed by Mercedes-Benz.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Smart Cars only get about 35 mpg. You can do better with a Corolla and get two extra seats in the bargain.

Draft saved Draft deleted