1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

23 years ago today: Challenger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Was in the school cafeterorium eating lunch with Tommy Dyer and Darrell Mathis.
    I was a sophomore and they were juniors.
    A group had gathered in the library to watch and the librarian walked into the lunchroom. She was crying and said that the space shuttle had blown up.
    We all had a collective gasp and went running into the library to see what was going on.
    It was a huge deal because the school teacher was on that flight and she was going to teach classes from space.
    I remember that day like it was yesterday.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was running the dayside desk at AP Hartford, watching on TV as it happened.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I was either in second grade or watching it on TV in the second grade classroom. I'm not sure. I think we might have got sent home early too.

In the days that followed I recall someone starting a rumor that they had found body parts in a trash can somewhere in Florida.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, let me ask a delicate question. If you're free-falling that rapidly, don't the changes in pressure cause you to black out? I was thinking the same thing when I saw people falling from the top floors of the WTC on 9/11. Isn't there such a jolt from onrushing air that you lose consciousness? I guess I'm hoping that's the case.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The lack of air pressure would cause a blackout. There's not enough air to breathe or enough pressure to force any into your lungs.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Don't remember a school announcement per se, but I do remember watching the coverage all night with my folks on our little black and white (!) tv in our dining room. My mom was almost in tears, I just really didn't understand.

8. I was in first grade, and had just gone upstairs into the computer lab (which had a TV). We watched it for the entire hour.

Just two weeks prior, I had received an envelope from NASA that contained a bunch of photos and info about space and shuttle missions (we all wrote letters to NASA at the beginning of the school year). One of the photos was of the Challenger crew.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I was in sixth grade, and we were in music class when it happened. When we got back to our regular classroom, our teacher told us about it and everyone was shocked. I watched the news coverage late into the night with my parents.

My family had been at the Kennedy Space Center the previous spring, and when our tour guide found out that both of my parents were teachers, he suggested that they apply for the Teacher In Space Project -- a spot that obviously went to Christa McAuliffe on the ill-fated Challenger flight. Needless to say, I'm glad that my folks weren't selected.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Sophomore in college---just getting ready to walk into the cafeteria. Can't believe it's been 23 years...wow.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I was a freshman at Mississippi State, returning to the dorm after an early morning class. Somebody told me that the shuttle had blown up. As a freshman majoring in aerospace engineering and a lifelong space freak, it was obviously a terrible day.

I've taken way longer than I needed to to read Jones' excellent "Out of Orbit" because it pisses me off that two crews were lost because of hubris creep at NASA.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If that were the case, there were be a lot more dead skydivers, I reckon.

Draft saved Draft deleted