1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

23 Reasons Why J.R. Moehringer can't write a profile about Pete Carroll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Written by J.R. Moehringer for LA Magazine.

This, kind souls, is writing. Best magazine piece I've read in awhile.

Interested, though, to hear your thoughts. (It ran two weeks ago, but I didn't see it until today.) Too gimmicky? Sincere? Brilliant? Phony? Remember, Tom Wolfe once wrote about hot rod culture in Southern California simply by writing a letter to editor Byron Dobell that contained all the notes he took.

Also, I think a word was dropped from the end of the first bullet point on the web version. I assume it's supposed to say "Accepting his loan of a shirt might have been unethical."

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Given the time, J.R. Moehringer doesn't have a contemporary.
    That was fabulous on so many levels. A difficult, cornering framework. Yet kept pace. That was fun. Thanks.

(There will be Gary Smith shouts, and they're heard.)

3. Dedo

Dedo Member

Good Lord.

After finishing that, I had to go back and read the old DD post about newspaper hacks and Gary Smith and Tim O'Brien and insecurity, just to convince myself I'm not as hopelessly incompetent as Mr. Moehringer made me feel.

Nothing short of brilliant.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That was incredible. Easily one of the best pieces I've ever read. Fun read all the way through, and a damn interesting (not gimmicky) way to tell the story of Pete Carroll.

Now, if you'd excuse me, I'm going to go do some pushups on my couch.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's the kind of story that reminds me this: Even though I can't do it this well, this is the reason why I do what I do.

I loved the physical descriptions in this part of the piece.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. I loved the whole "man-crush" segment, too.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly. It was such a good piece I didn't even notice that 30 minutes went by while reading it. I already sent the link to a bunch of co-workers and am thinking of sending it to a couple of coaches that I cover.

Thanks for sharing it DD.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I just go through point No. 3 and I can't believe what I'm reading. I had to take a quick break just to gather myself. I mean, this is one of the most original approaches to any kind of writing I've ever seen.

The way he connects writing a profile and a football game is fantastic. I never thought of it that way.

Anyway, back to reading.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We've just seen the first lock for BASW 2008.

And my writer's crush on Moehringer intensifies.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Thank you, DD. That is exactly what I needed to hear.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A wonderful piece, of course, but it always bothers me when someone feels forced to make a gross exaggeration in an attempt to paint a picture.

Let's just look at the SEC. Spurrier, Meyer, Richt. Saban. Nutt.

The Philopottamas at Tennessee is the only one who meets the first two criteria.

There are a lot of sourpusses, I guess. But I suspect Carroll was one, too, when he was coaching in the NFL.

12. Moehringer's a tremendous writer. I loved the profile; it presented an aspect of Carroll that I've yet to read anywhere else. But if you want to read his best work, pick up "Tender Bar," which is fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted