1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 years ago today... the call that still resonates in Missouri

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Oct 26, 2006.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

And leave it to JoPo to capture both sides of the on-going, probably never ending Denkinger argument damn well...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15849918.htm

Personally, I've come to realize that the call is probably the best thing to happen to Cardinals fans. It helped them forget their team couldn't finish out the series in St. Louis after winning the first two in KC; took a 3-1 lead for granted against a team that overcame the same deficit to get to the series; hit a whopping .185, or thereabouts; and finally, it helps them overlook the fact that the 11-0 game 7 was one of the biggest lay-down jobs in history.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fuck Jim Sundberg and his wind-blown triple. [/sourJaysfanboylooserstillsteamedattheir ALCSlosstotheRoyalsthatyear]

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The triple was one thing. Watching Buddy Biancalana single Sundberg home on the next at-bat had me in tears.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm headed to St. Louis this weekend, I'll have to bring Denkinger up. Always a good conversation starter.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, I forgot the Orta call would have been the first out of the inning, not the third. What a bunch of fucking crybabies.

Suck it Cardinal fans.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And Jack Clark and Darrell Porter botched a foul ball in the same inning as the Orta call.

And the Cardinals could have won Game 7, but John Tudor got lit up.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No matter what Mike Pereira rationalized afterward, the tuck fumble reversal that bailed out the Pats was the worst call I have ever seen for its meaning and ineptitude.

And, the lata Eric Gregg had at least 15 awful calls in the 1997 NLCS against the Braves.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The two biggest misconceptions about that call are as follows:
    1. It was for the third out of the inning
    2. It was made in game 7

Funny how 21 years of whining tends to obscure reality

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. And here's hoping the Tigers can rally to make the Cardinals about another series.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

The Andujar/Herzog explosion was classic.

And did Herzog or John Tudor really think that with Denkinger behind the plate for 7, did they really think that their strike zone was gonna be any bigger than a thimble?

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Guys, you're all wrong. Cardinal fans are the BEST in baseball. We should all bow to their superior knowledge.

Cardinal fans who still are bitter about Denkinger are the biggest cocksuckers in the world. Like I've said a million times, if the Cardinals were capable of winning the World Series that year, they would have found a way to overcome the call. And let's not forget that Orta, the man in question, never scored, being forced at third on a bad bunt by Jim Sundberg, who later scored the winning run.

Why doesn't ESPN Classic ever show Game 7? Classic in every sense of the word. Tudor loses a fight to a fan after walking 27 batters. Darryl Motley slapping the bejesus out of two straight Tudor pitches. George Brett going 4 for 5. Willie Wilson beating out a routine chopper up the middle. Lonnie Smith smashing a double down the line, which allowed Bret Saberhagen to steamroll Darrell Porter. Joaquin Underwear blowing up, Herzog blowing up ... I could go on.

BTW, did you know what Herzog said to get tossed? The final exchange went something like this:

WH: If you hadn't blown that call last night, we wouldn't be here tonight!"

DD: If your team wasn't hitting .185, we wouldn't be here tonight!

WH: You're a fucking cocksucker!

12. Joaquin Andujar is the most underrated crazy person in baseball history. Damn good pitcher, too, for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted