1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NBA playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 20, 2024.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I rewound it three times before moving on and finding out it was a time out

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Attributing the shitty NBA studio product to a lack of time is a cop out and I refuse to do it. They have ESPN, 2, ESPN news, and ESPN +. They could spend half the night discussing if they wanted to.
    The studio show blows, but it isn't because of lack of time.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's not what he's saying.

The ESPN studio show sucks because it's built around people who suck and they assume their audience can't name more than three players. Stephen A is a cartoon who will only talk about the Knicks. Mike Wilbon hasn't watched a game closely since Jordan retired.

The key to the TNT show is the chemistry, but a major reason why that works so well is they have all the time in the world to bullshit about the game after its over -- and they aren't focused on sticking to a highly-produced format pre-game and at halftime, either. That makes a huge difference, and it leads to a lot of stuff that makes the show special. For a variety of reasons, you're never going to see that on ESPN or NBC.

I though Bomani Jones made a really good point about TNT, too. A big reason why it works is the network allows that show to do whatever the hell they want. Remember the first show when the George Floyd video surfaced? They said "if you're looking for us to talk basketball, go somewhere else tonight. That's not happening." It was great, compelling TV, and again, you'll never, ever see something like that on ESPN or NBC.

Amazon? It's certainly possible, but I don't know.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Celtics read this board! They used my strategy in OT! Okay it ended up being worthless because they gave up an offensive board followed by two FTs so the lead went from 6 to 3 anyway but still...is Brad Stevens lurking?

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How is Comcast going to handle airing the playoffs after ditching NBC Sports? They have CNBC and USA Network to air games during the week, but aren't there problems with that?

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

TWolves have an O problem. Letting ANT dance while all five defenders play essentially a zone looking right at him inly leads to contested 3s. Got to run something better.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cavs fire Bickerstaff.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Barkley trashed Warner Bros. Discovery management today on the DP show.

Barkley on TNT's NBA rights outlook: 'Morale sucks, plain and simple'

"But we’re just sitting back waiting on these people to figure out what they’re going to do. My two favorite wines are Inglenook and Opus and these clowns I work for, they’ve turned us into Ripple and Boone’s Farm and Thunderbird. We got the best studio show — it’s so funny, we just won the (Sports Emmy’s) best studio show and these fools turned us from Inglenook and Opus into damn’s Boone’s Farm and Ripple. It’s crazy.”

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He went further on the Sirius XM show with Scal and Isola yesterday. But one thing he said repeatedly that he didn't say today is that Ernie would never leave his network. Barkley also said he was planning to retire after next season anyway, because he'd much rather just golf or fish every day. Wise man.

10. justgladtobehere

Tatum can just shove people around on both ends.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

A year ago this would be crazy, but Brown is better than Tatum.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted