1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Which does nothing to shield them from antitrust suits from future athletes who will call that de facto salary cap a constraint of trade that has not been collectively bargained.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will be really interested is seeing the unintended consequences of all this.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Like the realignment of conferences -- it will be horrible. But oh well.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, UAB has a collective that can be negotiated with, so it has a running start. Not enough NIL money to matter, but at least a negotiating base exists.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Oh, I do.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder if we’ll start to see “transfers” like we do in the European soccer leagues. Monmouth has a really good football player. They sell the rights to him to Ohio State for $500k. I suppose the transfer portal means something like this wouldn’t happen. But it’d be a way to reward the smaller D-1 schools when they inevitably get fleeced by the P4.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think it will be tumultuous but not horrible. Given how awful the previous systems have been I don't see how it could be worse.

I think about the a stumpy offensive guard who was the star player in my high school. He went to a Power Five school and was probably the best offensive lineman on a team that finished in the Top 20 by the end of his redshirt junior year. He then had a problem with the coaching staff and left the team. He was to short for the NFL and had exhausted his eligibility because of the requirement to sit out for a year after a transfer. His scholarship was also pulled. I think I next saw him from a distance delivering FedEx a couple of years later.

In the new system the kid, as a starting guard on a good team, would be able to transfer for his last year and make six figures. I think the new world is a better place.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm not saying there didn't need to be changes. There clearly needed to be. It just feels it's lurched too far.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think this could hurt the transfer portal jumping, if leagues/colleges can sign players to multi-year contracts.

Draft saved Draft deleted