1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 8, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think he'll put in the work. It's not like the radio show was all he had going on in his life. I was always impressed how much he travelled to do really crappy college basketball games for Fox. I know he's a hoops junkie, we'll see if it pays off. I do wonder how he'll relate to the modern college player though.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I’ll chime in on Gottlieb.

He will work hard. Doug has a rep as an absolute grinder in the business. He used his influence from Okie State to start working locally and then weekends at ESPN. Cowherd liked him there and he earned the opportunity.

This may fit everyone’s salary slots. Gottlieb wouldn’t go do this job for what GB would pay but keeping the radio gig for now would make that more palatable.

A low-major like GB is a tough job but the demographics could be a fit. Wisconsin is full of 6’5” driveway shooters who can play small forward. They usually come from affluent homes and may not need NIL dollars like other schools. If those kids don’t try and jump the moment a power 5 says they can walk on, he could keep a nucleus together.

The bigger issue will be Doug himself. He won’t be at GB in three years. If it’s a disaster, he’s fired. If he wins, he’ll jump. However, the AD needs to find a new head coach in May. That’s not easy.

As for the credit card cracks, that was almost 30 years ago. He’s paid dearly for it every time someone writes about it.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I take it you two have shared a few drinks.
    It's a terrible look ... for the school and Gottlieb. Either be a coach or a talking head.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What makes him so damn special that he should get a big chair with 0.00 days experience as a college assistant?

5. exmediahack

I don’t think he’ll be doing the radio show by the time we get to January.

6. exmediahack

Because it’s May and GB will be on its fourth coach in four years. If this is March, someone else - with more experience - gets the job.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. dixiehack

There are approximately 74,328 Division III schools in Wisconsin. They couldn’t money whip one of those coaches, even off cycle? Something still smells.

franticscribe and exmediahack like this.
  8. exmediahack

Agree. WIAC has really solid programs at the top. However, they hired Bo Ryan’s kid four years ago and that was a disaster.

A close friend is a D3 head coach. Private school with a huge endowment. Elite academics. He told GB “no”. Maybe it’s harder to fill than it should be.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to understand why Green Bay fired Linc Darner five coaches (but only four years) ago.

10. exmediahack

Absolute mess. Shelled out $720k in a settlement. That probably also made other coaches use caution in pursuing the job or, like the last coach, think “the moment we’re .500, I am bolting”.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. dixiehack

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That’s at least the third sitting head coach to take an assistant job in a power 5 league this offseason, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted