1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

First two SEC games had attendance listed at 7,425. The Vanderbilt-Florida game was also listed at 9,240 so that number must have been for the two-game session.
    The SEC tournament always draws pretty well. Hoover is a great location for it, within easy driving distance for almost all of the conference's fans to go over for a day or two. I know a lot of people who go just to go and spend a couple of days there without staying the whole week. But then again, baseball is just a different beast in the SEC than it is anywhere else.

Liut likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Liut, dixiehack and Batman like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One word: inventory.
    There's nothing better for conference-branded networks than conference baseball tournaments. Eight to 10 hours a day of live game programming.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They’re actually going to lose a day of games next year when it becomes a 16-team demolition derby.

Liut likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The 2024 Arkansas baseball team has gone from dominant to scuffling in the past month. I'm not even sure they can get out of a Fayetteville Regional.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pac-12/10/8/PCC existed for a hundred years without a baseball tournament, and flourished, winning more national titles than any other conference. It never needed a conference tournament because it played a complete round-robin to determine a true champion. Fuck Larry Scott.

Another thing I hate: the lower seed batting last. The higher seed should always bat last, it earned last ups.

tapintoamerica, MileHigh and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Screw that. Have a hunger strike over the pitcher’s mound.

Batman likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

Probably the only profitable conference tournament.

9. dixiehack

The AAC tournament has plenty of good sections available. But the shots of the beach between innings does tempt me to look up vacation rentals in Clearwater.

10. tapintoamerica

I have never understood this element of postseason college baseball.

11. dixiehack

Go ahead and get ready to scream. Word around Hoover is the SEC could be looking at 11 NCAA bids.

12. tapintoamerica

No surprise. Five of them finished 13-17 in league play yet reside in the RPI’s top 30: South Carolina, Vandy, LSU, Alabama and Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted