1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somebody ought to lodge a protest.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Attendance was listed at 9,240. That doesn't seem too bad for the late game on day one.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes. Foul ball.
    And yes. The safety base is not a solution.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Last Big 12 game of the night didn’t get started til 9:20 CST.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

All praise timing-related rules.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Meanwhile out West:

Pac-12 at Scottsdale: Going with three-team pods before single-elimination play starts Friday. Yesterday's scores: Stanford 8, ASU 7; USC 7, Utah 6; Cal 12, Washington 0.
    Mountain West at San Diego: Starts Thursday with two games: New Mexico vs. San Jose State and Air Force vs. Fresno State.
    WCC at Las Vegas: Starts today with St. Mary's vs. Pepperdine and Santa Clara vs. Gonzaga. San Diego is the top seed.
    Big West: No tournament. Heading into final weekend, UC Santa Barbara (23-4) leads second-place UC Irvine (20-7) by three games. Santa Barbara hosts UC Riverside for three starting tomorrow, while Irvine hosts CSU Northridge.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Ole Miss-Mississippi State game clocked in at a brisk 2:10.
    As much as quick games, though, I think it had more to do with good weather. Four games, no weather delays. Looks like they ought to be clear until at least Friday as well. That rarely happens at this tournament.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Combining for 24 strikeouts didn’t hurt. If it wasn’t for bullpen strategy late, we had a chance at two hours flat.

Batman likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched the tournament off and on all day. That looked like the only game that had a decent crowd.

Noooobody at the ACC or Big Ten tournaments, huge stadiums, no fans. Same at the Pac-12, maybe 2K for ASU, then nobody. The world would be a better place of these tournaments would go away and commissioners would figure out that a 30-game regular season is enough to determine a true champion. Or, if you have so many teams you don't have a true round-robin, then just have the divisional champs play off.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I hate the ACC tournament format. Four three-team pools, if you lose your first game, you're probably done. I get why they do it. True double-elimination tournaments are hell on arms, and you want to have your best teams fresh for regionals. But to your point, why even hold a tournament if it's going to be in a bastardized format like that?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looks like what they're doing in the Pac-12. The one thing I won't miss about the conference's demise.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The SEC would never, ever give up the gate and concession receipts from Hoover.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted