1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wish it would slide a little west and we could get in on that.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Even if it wasn’t, you could easily protect yourself by dressing like Ohio State or any team in the AP Top 10.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. I thought living within 45 minutes of I-10 would bring some tropical weather ...

Batman likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Frank is the first major storm of the season, but he isn't going to bother anybody. Officially a Cat 3.

[​IMG]

5. Driftwood

People are trying to get the word out about Idailia, though.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Here’s my concern about this for the Tampa Bay area: After Charley, Irma and Ian, there’s going to be at least some “yeah, whatever,” attitude, because The Big One keeps just missing the population center.

maumann likes this.
  7. Driftwood

It's like that everywhere. You've always got some guy "It ain't gonna do nuthin. Them weathermen don't know what they're talkin bout."

maumann likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tampa will get low tropical storm winds (<50 mph). Landfall will be further north.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

farther

HanSenSE, swingline and MileHigh like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's going to be at least a Cat 3 when it hits. If it's a 4 or 5 and it actually hits Tampa Bay, or heaven forbid makes landfall a bit north of there, putting the city on the more powerful NE side of the storm, there will be hell to pay. It's been a long time since a truly powerful storm hit Tampa. They've dodged all the big Cat 5 monster storms - got some rain and wind but avoided actually being in the middle of the storm track as it came inland. There has been a lot of time for developers to build in areas that they really shouldn't have been allowed to.

As ever, no one really knows where the damn thing will go until it makes landfall. I hope they stay lucky. As was said above, there will be people who have evacuated in the past for storms that had minimal effect, and that breeds contempt for the forecasts.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s going to come in right in the middle of the Big Bend Coast and be a big threat to panthers, pine trees and smugglers.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And for the record, every time I see a reference to “Idalia” there’s a moment where I think they forgot the “V” at the beginning of the word.

HanSenSE, Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted