1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022-23 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 19, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It very well might have been at about 5 p.m. CT before they lost Paul Bunyan's Axe at home to the Gophers last night. I think that result led the fan base (and probably the administration now that Barry's gone) to decide that this needed to be blown up instead of retooled. I don't necessarily agree but my opinion on this hire is probably heavily colored by how things went when Fickell took over after Tattoogate in Columbus.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Blowing things up right after Nebraska hires Matt Rhule seems to be a bad move, but what do I know.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, this is the job you turned down ND and Sparty to take?

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Funny how all those stories about Cristobal being the savior, and the athletic department spending money like drunken sailors on shore leave have gone silent.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The NIL era is still young. I wouldn’t rule this out quite yet.

wicked likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Timing. Taking one of those gigs would have meant leaving a playoff team. Might have been awkward to be divided like that.
    The heat that Ryan Day is taking for losing one game in each of the past two years should deter everybody with a brain from considering Ohio State. So that should not be a career aspiration for Fickell.

maumann likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Cristobal is nothing special as a coach. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire at FIU and benefitted greatly from Very Big Deal USC, Stanford and Washington being down. And he still managed to boner away a game he should have won to Stanford.

9. Sam Mills 51

Neither will I. But Miami was ranked and many, including some in the media, had declared them back before the season-opening kickoff.

Not so fast.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I love that they’re selling the narrative that Cristobal has inherited a “rebuild,” despite the fact their average recruiting class has been 17th over the last five years.

11. Sam Mills 51

While I'm not screaming that Manny Diaz was the next star-coach-in-waiting, he didn't leave a mess. Yeah, the narrative was that Cristobal was going to have to overhaul everything. No, he didn't. Didn't succeed right off the bat, anyway.

Lots of narratives and talking points destroyed simultaneously.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted