1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022-23 college basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That makes me feel a bit better. Fifteen years ago he would've been gone or sandbagged by the Paterno cabal.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I just learned that Sundance Wicks has been named the new coach at Green Bay.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's a lot. Too much, frankly.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree with this...if it isn't Pitino. He'll get kids to the school. May not be Big East champs...but NCAA Tourneys every year?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Depends on if he wants Notre Dame. Can't get all the cool transfers at ND because of academics. (Most, but not all.)

Penn State is what it is. Terrible, oversized arena. (ND's arena isn't great, but it's the right size.) Middle of nowhere. Some guys like that, incidentally - Jalen Pickett did.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It might be too late with the junior class, but 13 of the top 150 are NY / NJ kids. Depending on the kids leaving in the portal, he might be able to put together a good enough class to supplement what he brings in through the portal.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

On Georgetown...it comes down to whether there's a dedicated NIL stream to keep guys around. You know Maryland has one. I'll bet UVA does, too. Most of the state schools do quite well in this arena.

On the DeMatha thing...I get all the history, I get it, and maybe that was once true, but here's what it really is now: Kids often wanna leave where they're from. Not always. But often. Durant, East Coast kid, went to Texas. Bradley Beal, St. Louis kid, went to Florida. Hunter Dickinson pretended Maryland's Mark Turgeon didn't recruit him very well, which is hilarious. Jalen Suggs claimed Minnesota didn't really want him for basketball, which was even more hilarious.

Kids like to leave home. And the colleges nearby are in an almost impossible spot, because they can put all those eggs in the local basket - making promises, putting up with local youth coaches who want to be around all the time - and get burned, and end up with no one.

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  8. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

USF basketball has such a weird history. But it needs to accept that its basketball program is nothing. Thus, they needed a coach who knew how to build in a reasonable time frame from nothing. Someone like Amir Abdur-Rahim, who pulled that off at Kennesaw State, probably makes much more sense. Brey is likely to be just more of the same pile of crap on Fowler Avenue.

9. tapintoamerica

Absolutely right on. As to why the areas are different, Notre Dame downsized its venue. I don't know of anybody who made that move and regretted it. Live attendance for most sports is stagnant at best in an era of home theatre screens and HD, etc.
    Georgia Tech did something interesting in addition to its downsize operation: It dimmed the lights in the seating bowl so you can't tell from TV how vacant the place is.

10. tapintoamerica

The USF hire of Brey is great, in my opinion. He'll energize the operation.
    Abdur-Rahim would also have been good and I presume somebody should be interested in a guy who took a team from one win to ≥ 20 in four years. Say all you want about the immediacy of the transfer portal as a change agent; Kennesaw State doesn't strike me as a quick-fix outfit the way University-6 thinks it should be.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Of course it is. All these guys are making too much. But in the case of Cooley, yeah, as others have noted, I'm not sure a guy who made one S16 in 12 seasons at a very similar school is the guy to get Georgetown to where everyone who remembers 1985 thinks Georgetown should be. I saw some supporters on Twitter today saying he could be a Mick Cronin type who got all he could out of one spot, went to another place with more resources and is now a perennial national title contender. I dunno. UCLA was never anything resembling bad. Georgetown is a complete dumpster fire. I guess the budget at Georgetown will dwarf that of Providence, but is that going to be enough to vault them into upper echelon of a league loaded even before St. John's got serious by getting the one guy who CAN get them back to where everyone who remember 1985 thinks they should be? If not, at least Cooley's made generational money (and then some).

wicked likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The other side of kids wanting to leave home is that the portal is full of kids who did and are now trying to find a roster spot where his friends and family can come to his games.

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted