1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or John Cena or The Rock.
    Who was trashing her? Why wouldn't she be at the top of the women's division when she's around?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Some no name rasslin web site that for whatever reason she decided to engage with.

i hope for her sake she’s living the gimmick online and she doesnt actually believe the nonsense about sexism or whatever.

she intruded on Becky’s Mania main event. She destroyed Ria Ripleys career. She has more world championships than Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles combined.

And she’s amazing, all that stuff is deserved, but if anyone in WWE expects that stuff not to piss of a segment of the fanbase they’ve had their heads buried since 1999.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Comparing the number of titles she has to Bryan and Styles is unfair. Styles hasn't been in the WWE as long, and when Charlotte was called up, the women's division was not nearly as deep as it is now. The men's division has always been much deeper.

WWE has had a problem for years with booking its top women. They don't know what to do with them when they aren't in a title hunt. It's gotten better lately, but the problem isn't Flair or her talent. It's the bookers. NXT does a much better job of it, actually building rivalries away from the women's belt. They don't seem to be able to do that on Raw and Smackdown.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The constant with Raw and Smackdown, vs. NXT, would be Vince. I don't think he views anything outside of the women's belt matches as important, so he's always going to favor non-title men's matches over non-title women's matches.

JRoyal likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

alright, so shes got 11 world titles, the other 3 horsewomen have 15 combined.

point being when any man is around the title that much (see Cena, John) it brings the same boo’s and heat from the audience. Male/female has nothing to do with it

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah, that number is a little crazy, but they've never given her a long reign like they have Becky and Bayley. With all her reigns combined, she's still only held a belt for a couple of weeks longer than Becky and about a month longer than Bayley.

And I'm not saying she hasn't had the belt too much. They tend to default to her when they don't have any ideas, then pull it off her a few months later when they figure out what to do. It's crappy booking. But her point wasn't that it bothers people. It was that this dude who crapped on her never put that effort into crapping on Cena or others. It wasn't an attack on all fandom. It was an attack on a shitty writer.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don’t watch WWE and only know what’s happening there thanks to this thread. But WTF was that bit about staring at lights to create a star?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So she's basically the female Randy Orton.

JRoyal and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Staring at the lights" is a wrestling term for losing (i.e., you're getting pinned and looking up at the arena lights). She's talking about being in a feud or feuds where she lost a lot to try to get another wrestler over.
    I can't remember her feuds well enough to figure out which star she's referring to, though. Is it Becky? Rousey? Lacey Evans? Some combination?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

i vaguely remember her shooting on the preMania interview circuit either last year or the year before. She said the fans think she wins all the time but she’d lost like 6 PPVs in a row or something. I dont remember much of it. Mustve been putting over Becky and Rousey going to Mania in NY.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There's a website that has all of a wrestler's matches (or at least all they can find a record of), and there was a pretty long period where she had a bunch of losses. Was a combo of folks, but Becky and Bayley were a lot of them.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted