1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AEW should have done every match tonight in Halloween costumes.

And I hope Hangman Page is inside the horse costume.

2. Inky_Wretch

Holy shit, that was awesome. A comedy match that advanced a storyline.

Huggy and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I think it's a matter of fans getting tired of the Cody overkill, between him always portraying the valiant hero in storylines, and him also appearing in two other Turner shows on top of AEW.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Every Cody story is the same, he gets beat up, disappears for a while and then comes back and beats the guy.

Lance Archer, Rusev, Agogo, now Malakai. AEW fans love those guys, especially Black, and they want to see them put over. Hence the Cena boo’s

I give the fans points for consistency. I mean they shit all over WWE for burying Rusev and Black, theyre totally right to do the same to Cody Rhodes.

Altho based on his promo this may be a long con, totally intentional on AEW’s part to create a mega heel

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

With how careful AEW is with most of its planning and booking, I imagine they'll actually turn Cody at some point, like the WWE finally did with Reigns, instead of having him become the new Cena. Which, while some people seem to have OK memories of that period of wrestling now, it really was just predictable shit for years and years.

6. Inky_Wretch

Given his wife works as a heel, I've expected Cody to turn at some point.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, early in October, Cody said he would retire before he turns heel. But that could've been a swerve. Or it could be him working toward a gimmick where he's a heel but sees himself as a hero, or something of a tweener. But it would be weird to see him say that in October and then make a full heel turn so quickly unless it was part of the angle.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

Kind of like his dad, I gotta assume that Cody is always working. :)

9. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

I watched my first match in about 25 years - was the last match in AEW last night. Kind of liked it.

Batman likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

Part of the plus with AEW here is their fans believe in them, there’s not years of built up lack of confidence like WWE.

So if/when Cody turns they get the benefit of the doubt that it was a longterm plan. When WWE stumbles into something like KofiMania its an accident

11. sgreenwell

I think it's fair to say that AEW doesn't have enough of a track record to say whether something was a plan, or a happy accident. However, I think there's plenty of information out there suggesting that WWE "lucks" into plenty of things, since ultimately, it's Vince McMahon making the final decisions on a large portion of the shows and booking. I should add - While Vince is frustratingly rigid with a lot of stuff, he's also usually willing to get behind something if it'll make him money, like letting Stone Cold kick the shit out of him, or CM Punk beat Cena clean. I think it was Jericho who said that Vince can be convinced to do things, it's just really hard.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

Basically AEW hasnt pissed away most of its fan base’s good will, so they’re willing to go along for the ride on this stuff and they have faith it won’t be a bleepshow at the end

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted