1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If anybody had any doubt about hockey’s old boys network take a look at this list to
    Replace Rutherford. A generation behind other sports. Hextall is fine, but imagine advocating for Chirallei or John Ferguson JR? This is why Jim Benning will be employed forever.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I saw that as well. I can’t believe Junior and Chiarelli are legitimate candidates.

Very abrupt resignation. Some speculation it has to do with the lawsuit out of Wilkes Barre.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tighthead likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

I don't disagree with the sentiment at all, but frequently I wonder if writers have detailed lists available (i.e., who a particular organization really likes, specific preferences, quirks, idiosyncrasies). In summary, a default list consisting of former GMs, retreads, etc. ...

Again, I agree with the larger point, but are we certain the media had any time to talk with anyone associated with the Penguins to put together a better list?

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Think I just heard the next scheduled game between the two teams has been postponed.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

San Jose and Vegas scheduled to play Feb. 1 and 3 in Glendale, Ariz. Sharks are home team. But with the lifting of stay-at-home orders, Sharks will return to the Tank Feb. 13-15 vs. Anaheim.

Liut likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The media also push their old boys network sources.

It’s why Mike Gillis does not get a serious look at another job. He tried different things and feuded with the wrong hockey men. In turn, their media water carriers push their own guys.

8. Sam Mills 51

I'll default to someone like Elliotte on matters like this. That's not a shot, but Elliotte works those corners, not me.

Some people manage to make the wrong people mad and get blackballed. Mike Gillis was not the first and will not be the last, in hockey or in any other profession.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You follow hockey, there’s a reason you see the same names recycled over and over. Hockey is by far the worst for the old boys club and Bettman is definitely a part of it.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

T.J. Oshie playing center tonight. And things I didn't think I'd type in regards to the Caps is something about the Carr-Sgarbossa-Sprong line playing well.

11. Sam Mills 51

Since Gary is usually about giving us the smartest-guy-in-the-room vibe, take it up with him.

Not because I think you're wrong - I see the point - but just what am I supposed to do about it? Do you think lil' ol' me has Bettman's ear?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Where did I say you should do anything? I was stating my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted