1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MBB coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Or this from the San Jose State announcement:
    Jean Prioleau, hired on August 4, 2017, has concluded his tenure at San José State

2. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

They did some cosmetic things and redid the floor a few years back, but Williams Arena is largely the same place it has been since the major renovation in 1993. And it is wholly unimpressive when empty (when full and loud, though, which is rare nowadays, it's got the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in person).

And I agree that being in a market that's awfully small for one with teams in all four major sports usually puts them far down in the pecking order, but that was certainly not the case in 1997. Getting there is the obvious problem, but if they are relevant nationally in basketball they will leapfrog whatever pro teams (other than the Vikings) are struggling at the time. Until he was exposed as a monumental fraud, after the Final Four appearance Clem Haskins probably could have been elected governor. Admittedly, Jesse the Body actually elected was back then, so it's not a high bar.

Liut likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Pains me to say, but I’m not sure it is any more. Most of the students on campus weren’t born he last time IU was in the Final Four. They had a good team in 2013 but mediocre to bad for the better part of two decades.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No doubt a sign how irrelevant San Jose State basketball has become is that I had to link to the government radio version of the firing story.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

wicked, Liut and sgreenwell like this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm really familiar with Minnesota hoops, but - Is Pitino really that hot of a candidate that he can essentially be fired and then immediately hired at what doesn't look to be, at least to me from the outside looking in, such a shitty job? Like I'm a fan of a mid-major team (URI, Atlantic 10), and if we were looking for a coach this off-season, Pitino Jr. wouldn't be in my Top 10 based on his resume.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You magnificent son of a bitch.

Wenders and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

UNM is in a financial crater and has no recent legacy to draw upon and outside of Tony Snell so no NBA results either. So, yeah, it's a marriage made in Purgatory.

9. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

And yet their fans expect the Lobos to be Arizona, or, at a bare minimum, San Diego State.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

He has quite a family legacy at the U - 61 wins, 100 NCAA violations and multiple assaults against a conference opponent.

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At DU, it was time to "Undergo Change in leadership."

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Dave Paulsen out at George Mason, which had one miracle run to the Final Four in 2006 but has only made the tournament twice since then. Hearing a lot of chatter about Winthrop's Pat Kelsey as a replacement. Mason CAN be a good job. It clearly was under Larranaga. But the arena is aging. The program barely registers as a blip on the D.C. area sports scene. Kelsey is a hell of a coach, though, and he'd be wise to get out of the Big South when he can, because that league is really bad outside of Winthrop and maybe Radford. At least you have a shot at an at-large at Mason. If Winthrop would have lost to Campbell last weekend, they'd be 22-2 and sitting home, because there's no way any Big South team is ever getting an at-large.

Draft saved Draft deleted