1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Tornado, big assed storm thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My favorite tornado chasing story:
    I was a trained spotter for about 10 years. Loved loved loved chasing them. You talk about an incredible adrenaline rush......
    Good friend lived right next door to me. I told him stories about the ones I've seen, and he was envious.
    This was 2004....2005....somewhere in there......I get an alert that says there's a tornado on the ground about 10 miles north of our house. I go knock on his door and say "Hey.....there's a tornado on the ground about 10 miles north of town.......you wanna go?!"
    He throws his shoes on, and I'm in a bright red regular cab Ford Ranger.
    We go hauling balls north of town.........raining.....hailing........wind blowing like hell for about 5 miles...you could barely see the highway.......and then all of a sudden NOTHING. I mean you could hear a fucking mouse fart it's so quiet. A very very eerie feeling.
    He sees me get this "OH..........FUCK." look on my face, and he says "Get me the fuck home."
    He never went with me on a chase again.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looks like another prime day for storms in tornado alley.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Dammit, you made me go look at the radar.

4. Inky_Wretch

I hope all y'all are OK.

5. Neutral Corner

I had no idea, and I live in Jefferson County. No rain here, no big wind gusts, and no tornado siren.

Strange. Radar is clear now.

*edit* Shit, 2011. That was one badass storm.

6. Inky_Wretch

Yeah. They got me on it. Sorry.

Hell of an anniversary tweet.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Date at the bottom was right, and I missed the one in the body until I double checked.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Enhanced risk in a big area today and tonight. Fortunately not a big tornado threat, but the main hazard appears to be a squall line with hail and high winds. Straight line winds can be plenty damaging.

Update: A moderate risk was added just northeast of DFW up into Oklahoma. Level 4 out of 5. Shaping up as a serious derecho event.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  9. Inky_Wretch

Jim Cantore tweeted there's a chance for hurricane force winds with today's storms ... which has me eyeing that big oak tree in my front yard very worriedly.

10. Inky_Wretch

When this guy starts sounding alarms, it's serious.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Level 4 has been expanded to include DFW while keeping its easternmost reach.

[​IMG]

12. Neutral Corner

Yeah, that's us tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted