1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Mysterio thing is more proof — as if we needed any more proof — that the WWE writers are out of ideas, which has been showing up in the declining TV ratings for a while now.

sgreenwell, Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In the same vein as that tweet, I did rather enjoy Bayley's heel promo last night where she started talking about Rey Mysterio and then said, "No, you're not seeing double" as she shifted into talking about her win.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Bayleys one of the best talkers in the company right now. Its amazing considering how bad some of her face stuff went over. Her face feud with Bliss? There were times when it looked like she was headed to the Dana Brooke burial ground.

I think shes an example of someone thriving with no crowds, no one to scream WHAT for no reason in the middle of the promo.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thinking back to last night and how overbooked was that Asuka/Sasha match.

All they had to do was have Bayley move the blinded ref over for him to count the pin, and it would be logical. Instead, we had Bayley suddenly playing ref for no reason. And there's no real GM or commissioner to logically overturn the "decision."

Ridiculous overbooking.

Batman, JRoyal and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Even if they didn't want a blind ref counting, they could have just had Bayley grab a bottle of water off the broadcast table and splash his eyes before she drags him over. It's so easy to book it where it isn't ridiculous.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're obviously setting up the rematch with another stipulation, probably a guest referee (Bayley, I'm sure).

7. Baron Scicluna

Which they could have done anyways with the automatic title return match that they stupidly got rid of a few years ago.

Or, if they really want Bayley to be the ref, have Asuka win with the green mist and have Sasha demand a rematch with her friend as the ref.

They’ve overthought this. A shame too, because it was a helluva match.

JRoyal likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

With the "lose an eye" match, I think most of us were under the impression that they would CGI something "cool." Like, that's the benefit of not doing a live show. If you're not going to deliver on the gross premise, why even bother?

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It could be awesome with Bayley as a guest ref after the green mist, too. Have her do a promo before the match where she and Sasha say they've figured out how to make sure the referee doesn't get blinded this time and then have her come out with a full face shield and a squeegee to clean it off if she gets sprayed. Would be awesome.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if Shayna’s promo from last week could be in play here, if she starts a feud with Banks over being “serious” since the tag team is all about the shenanigans.

but that would make bayzler a face, which doesnt work, and kills Asuska. Part of why the Shayna return didn’t make sense was who is her competition? Who’s she saying is a joke?

They still can’t seem to be able to get multiple womens stories over at the same time. Any advancement of Shayna kills Asuska and Asuska’s being on top since MITB buried Shayna.

11. Baron Scicluna

As a kid, I always thought that a fun spot for a babyface would be to have a pair of swim goggles hidden in their trunks. When Killer Khan or the Great Kabuki would do their mist, the face could be selling a head injury, sneak the goggles on, then, no-sell the mist. Hogan would have been fun for this.

JRoyal, JimmyHoward33 and Batman like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does MVP know that Buddy Murphy borrowed his ring gear?

Draft saved Draft deleted