1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I feel like they're banking a little too much on guys we know are only gonna be around short term, like DDP and Dustin Rhodes. Heck, even Daniels and Kazarian are nearing their end (Kaz has a few years left, but Daniels is almost 50). The Dark Order is getting their weird promos, but they're building up an Elite vs. Elite feud more than they are the Dark Order vs. the Elite. I like the matches when I do watch it, and I got caught up recently, but I'm with Jimmy. I'm not invested enough that I care if I miss an episode or two or three. But, heck, I'm getting that way with Smackdown, too.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was watching AEW at first out of curiosity, and then trying to catch some of the more interesting bits like Jericho's stuff, and now I haven't watched it in a few weeks.
    I don't watch NXT, either, and work most Friday nights so I hardly ever catch Smackdown. Raw is usually background noise on Monday night.
    I still have my Network subscription and watch all the PPVs, though. And if I really wanted to catch Smackdown, there are ample opportunities throughout the week. Fox replays the hell out of that show on FS1.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

What do I have to do to become the WWE employee who has to place the hollow metal pipes backstage before every show, so they can inevitably fall in the backstage brawl?

4. nietsroob17

Maybe some day, one day, we'll get New Day vs. The Elite on TV.

Batman likes this.
  5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Or just called it the Universal title, North American title, Intercontinental title, tag team title, etc. we know it’s the men’s or women’s division based on who’s in the ring, by who’s holding each belt.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s more of a reference to the WWE title, and the tag titles too. They use “women’s” to designate those, but not “men’s.”

The confusion lies if you drop “women’s” and just call it the WWE title. If the announcers say “we have a WWE championship match tonight,” unless they show graphics, we won’t know which division, and it also implies that there are dual WWE champions who anyone can challenge, instead of actual divisions.

Hence, men’s division and women’s division designations work best.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I haven't watched WWE in ages but I like what I see from AEW (aside from the women's division which doesn't interest me at all). Good matches and not endless promos, I have always been a Jericho mark, and I like what i see from guys like Pac, Darby Allin, Omega and MJF who is so great as a smarmy heel.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

WWE signing up as much available talent as possible seems to especially hurt the women's division in other companies. I think AEW and others will be in a better place a couple years from now, when WWE will be forced to "lose" some talent that's made money, but wants an opportunity more, a la Dean Ambrose.

9. nietsroob17

Who cares if it's January. Just give Worlds Collide the PPV of the Year Award. Except for the shorter Ripley/Storm, everything has been a barnburner, including two arguable five-star matches with DIY/Mustache and Era/Imperium.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I’m not trying to be a hater, I’ve watched 3 months of this stuff now, hand to God what Ciampa and Gargano did tonight’s better than anything I’ve seen out of AEW/The Elite.

And I fully expect the Takeover in 3 weeks to be even better. Balor/Gargano? Good luck to the title match following that.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Can I add how absolutely bullshit it is that the DIY Tshirt isnt eligible for the buy one get one for $1 deal? Cmon Trips

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The Fiend is already old and tired.

Becky and Asuka are putting on a good match, but the crowd is so dead from lame matches up to now outside of a few moments in the women’s Rumble.

Draft saved Draft deleted