1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know it's only Jan. 23 but Britt Baker wins Worst Promo of the Year for that mess last night on AEW.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Since she's the wrestling dentist, maybe they should have her go full Isabelle Yankem.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

This is classic. Great send-up of all the classic betrayals, and love the touches of "It was me, Austin!" and the trash being thrown in the ring like the late '90s Nitros.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What do we make of the nxt championship controversy? (Supposedly dropping the word womens because it implies its less than. Becky Lynch seems against this ... or maybe shes for It? )

anyway I think its dumb bc its confusing. If Mauro says “we have an nxt title match coming after the break!” I want to know if Cole or Ripleys up next.

we call the tag titles “tag team champions” and its not an insult. I feel gender name is the same.

Batman likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just use men’s and women’s. Problem solved.

JimmyHoward33, JRoyal and sgreenwell like this.
  6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This. Start referring to the men's title as the men's title. Men's division as men's division. Men's tag team champions as men's tag team champions.

Which raises a question that I maybe should post on the journalism board. Girls wrestling is now a thing in Oklahoma. But most coverage of wrestling (which is sparse as it is) refers to wrestling with no gender for boys (the Class 5A wrestling championships, for example) but uses girls wrestling for girls. That's the only sport where it happens -- everything else is boys tennis and girls tennis, for example. I'm thinking I might advocate for adding boys to the boys wrestling coverage when we actually get to heavy coverage next month with the state tournaments. Thoughts?

7. JimmyHoward33

It’ll happen naturally over time. Here, its always boys soccer, boys basketball, etc because there’s been boys and girls versions for 40 years. Not hockey, there’s still a tendency to call the boys team the “hockey team” because people still have muscle memory from the 90s.

Are the teams co-ed with a girls division for states? That’s how swimming is here so we don’t do boys or girls for that.

8. JimmyHoward33

did they botch the ending of the match? What was questionable about it to start the whole promo? Seemed like Baker forgot her lines.

confession Im thinking about cutting out aew. Its just not great and not worth my time.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Two separate tournaments this year. First time. Every sport other than football (which has no equivalent) and baseball (which has softball for girls) are boys whatever and girls whatever.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think, creatively, expectations were just a little high. It’s not bad, there’s some rough spots they need to iron out, and they just need time to put it all together. They’re like an expansion team. They don’t really have a history to fall back on, so they’re doing this all from scratch.

12. JimmyHoward33

its not that its bad. Its just not great and there’s not enough time in the day. I find it sitting in my dvr and once I get more than a week behind its like, eh I can just catch what I need in twitter gifs. The whole thing feels like a big shrug.

Draft saved Draft deleted