1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Della, were I a voter, I'd have Cunningham instead of McNabb. He had flashes of real transformational greatness, whereas McNabb was real good for a longer time, but I never once thought of him as one of the league's three best QBs. The evidence of one's own eyes is always suspect, but I saw Cunningham win a game with a 90-yard quick kick, That stays with you.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I almost went with him as the QB that will get through but I went off what I think the committee will do, which is give a little more weight to the playoff success and the Super Bowl appearance.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cunningham was MVP once though,wasn't he. Back around 1990. That's gotta count.

4. Della9250

He was the Pro Football Writers MVP in 1990, but the AP MVP was Montana

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Where the hell is Sterling Sharpe? How on earth is he not among the top 120? Gary Clark? Derrick Mason? That is an absolute joke.

Sharpe, to me, is the biggest oversight.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I was driving and listening to sports radio last night and they were talking most talented/greatest receivers. I was tempted to call in and make a case for Sharpe in the top five. He was right behind rice for a few years, and I feel he was just about to enter his prime when he got injured.

7. CD Boogie

For sure. Seriously, look at this guy's sheet. Three time All-Pro, five Pro Bowls. Led league in receptions 3 times. First player to have multiple 100-catch seasons. Led league in TDs twice. If you're the second best receiver of your generation -- and the first best is arguably the greatest football player ever -- you deserve serious consideration for Canton. Ahead of Derrick Mason, for god's sake.

upload_2019-9-13_11-17-35.png

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

At one point, I knew the list by heart, but there are only a handful of guys who led the league in catches, yards and tds in one year. sharpe was the only not in the hall of fame...though I think one or two guys have done it since him.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "Century Class" is going to be judged completely differently isn't it - not just by different voters, but criteria as well.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

No Issac Bruce or Henry Ellard but make way for Derrick Mason Jesus God no

11. CD Boogie

Derrick Mason never led the league in a single receiving stat. Made two Pro Bowls -- one as a kick returner and one as a WR. Just head-scratching how that guy can be under consideration ahead of Sterling Sharpe.

12. Della9250

No. It will be voted on by the regular voters in the same fashion like they usually do but it is an all-for-one vote, not voting on individual candidates

Draft saved Draft deleted