1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It does seem pretty clear that regardless of what the big leagues want, COVID will have the final say. It's one thing to say, well, if people get sick they get sick and we'll move on - but it becomes something else when it becomes real.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not in the SEC.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe Charmion in the SEC.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only schools that’ll be left playing will be the SEC, Climpson and Okie Lite. Put one in each SEC division for 2020 only.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw this on Twitter this morning. Darrell Green, one of the best NFL cornerbacks of all-time, is called an overrated fraud by ... Asante Samuel? Huh?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I figured Mahomes would rather have rolling three-year contracts to max out each time instead of a long-term deal.

EDIT: But perhaps the long-term deal will help the team with cap hits and help keep a good core around Mahomes. Any cap *experts* can weigh in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least from the tweet Della shared - it's ultimately, slightly team friendly if he's this good for the next 10 years, and the "break even" point is around 3 or 4 years at this production. The cap might dip in the next year or two, thanks to Covid19 and its effect on league revenues. (Then again, it might not, because the NFL becomes an even more valuable TV product if they can play.) Mahomes locks in $450M for himself, or close to it, instead of... I don't know. The highest per year 2019 contract was Russell Wilson at $35M, so that's $10M more per year. He probably could have done a shorter length if he wanted - like five years - and then locked in again at something greater than $45M/year, if he wanted.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

Cap most certainly will go up with the addition of two extra playoff games starting this season (assuming we have a season) and an increase to 17 regular-season games starting next season.

12. MileHigh

Robert Schefter III

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted