1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That was just ... stupid. Demo derby, blocking and foolish maneuvers.

And the first idiot who calls that "action" ... look at Lap 200 at Daytona 500 20 years ago and call it "action." Someone died there, which only then triggered NASCAR to claim to give a crap about driver safety.

maumann likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The angle of Bubba Wallace’s wreck reminded me of Earnhardt’s, except he was much closer to the wall.

There is discussion about how there are a lot of talented drivers now, but I think the opposite is true. NASCAR should cap Cup fields at 36 or 32. Make these ride buyers spend a couple years in Busch, trucks and ARCA learning how to drive on big tracks. Some of the driving today reminded me of Ernie Irvan 30 years ago when he was an absolute menace on the track.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

NASCAR would never do it, but they ought to have a minimum driver ability requirement to drive at Daytona or Talladega. That means you have to have shown you can drive a superspeedway at the ARCA, Busch or Truck level without creating a big crash AND be approved by a majority of the veteran drivers.

If you cause a major accident or drive like an idiot, you get placed on probation. If you continue to have issues, your Cup license for superspeedway tracks gets pulled until you repass the MDA.

Half of these guys are in over their heads at 190 mph.

SportsGuyBCK, playthrough and wicked like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Before you decided to post something dismissive, please read the post.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I read it. I’m cynical and I want to say it was written by a flack, but I don’t think flacks write that much unless they get paid by the word.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Alex Bowman to the 48, and — if he’s reinstated — Larson might be in the 88.

maumann likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hmm. Wonder if we'll see someone drive a 5 car instead of an 88. I'm kind of surprised they didn't change the number back when Junior retired.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Is it bad I equate the No. 88 with Buddy Baker and Darrell Waltrip before I think of Jarrett and Junior?

9. Sam Mills 51

Well done by Kyle Larson. I buy that he had a major hand in writing it. Might have written it himself without a heavy editing hand.

- Not long before I left my last post, I was around a younger group of folks. A bunch of them were calling each other the N-word. While I was a fossil to all of them, I told all of them to shut up and stop using the word. A bunch of young, white sorts have ZERO reason to use that word. Ever. To each other or to anyone else.

- Had a young Black guy tell me one time of growing up in a small town in the South of one time he was pulled over. Didn't do anything wrong. But because he was built - played linebacker at a D-II school - and the color of his skin, there he was.

I'll never fully understand the minority plight ... and, I suspect, I'm not alone on this board. But we can continue to try to continue to listen and better understand.

FileNotFound and maumann like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. Sam Mills 51

12. 2muchcoffeeman

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted