1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Something is rotten in the “state of Denmark”!

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A noose knot would be of no use to create a loop on the pull down rope. A noose tightens when pulled.

3. Jerry-atric

That is a very good point.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Which does make it easier to pull the rope down because it tightens up on the puller’s hand.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Predictably #BubbaSmollett is trending, and Alex Jones and the tin-foil hat crowd are eating it up.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When did the teams arrive, and how many times did someone open and close that door or walk past it between then and the rainout Sunday? It took that long for someone to say, "Hey, there's a noose. I better report it."?
    The only part of this story that makes sense is somebody has a whole lot of egg on their face.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It was a one-day show, so no one saw it until Sunday.

8. Driftwood

There was an Xfinity race on Saturday, I believe. Does Talladega have separate garage space for both series? It was a one-day show, but I bet the teams got there at least Saturday night. I don't dispute that someone tied it as a door pull. I even said as much on Monday. I'll even buy that it has been there since last year. I just can't believe that nobody saw it until late Sunday. Now if NASCAR would come back and say it was discovered and reported first thing Sunday morning, but they didn't make it public until later Sunday evening, OK.
    I'm waiting for Marty Smith and Ryan McGee to follow up. McGee did a little piece earlier today, but he was a whole lot more subdued.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That doesn't make it easier. Tightening on your hand would be a pain in the ass.

This knot is like a Bimini twist, slip or bowline, cinching tight after the loop is created. It helps to maintain a static loop size for uses such as tossing over a dock cleat or grabbing to close a door or turn on/off a ceiling switch. Common in boating, mechanic shops and other places.

MOST garage door rope pulldowns have a wooden or plastic T on the end, like on a lawnmower starting cord. I'm shocked that NASCAR had not already though of this for some kind of sponsorship possibility to offer "The Official Garage Door Pull Down Thing of NASCAR"

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Let's say the original t-handle broke off in somebody's hand or whatever. Logic would dictate they'd put a figure-eight knot or simple overhand knot in it just to have something to grip rather than take the time to tie a noose. If a crew member doesn't have much better to do on a race weekend than fancy rope work, I'm sure he should be back sweeping up at the shop.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I really miss Monte Dutton, who posted this yesterday on Facebook:

The level of ineptitude is akin to a Marx Brothers movie. NASCAR officials are in firm charge of Freedonia, led by Rufus T. Firefly, and the race weekend at Talladega was informally Duck Soup. It reminds me of the last line in a Furman Bisher column: "There will be a snowcap on Kennesaw Mountain before anyone believes a baseball (nee NASCAR) team again. Damn, I'm mad.

OscarMadison, wicked and Driftwood like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Many here and elsewhere still believe that this was a noose directed at the #43 driver. We will see how this story develops. Some say there are too many coincidences!

Draft saved Draft deleted