1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Then she should know better.

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Her sources were probably people talking or texting to her from inside the hospital emergency room itself. She's been working in Volusia County long enough that she has that kind of access.

daytonadan1983 likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honest question - if you hear something third-hand - does that count as "multiple sources?"

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What if the information wasn't third-hand?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Several years ago Congresswoman Gabby Gifford was shot in the head and rushed to a hospital. About an hour later, several of our competitors reported that she was dead, citing a source. That source was inside the hospital emergency room.

That source was also wrong.

Again, if no one is willing to put their name on it, my threshold for trust is incredibly high for a "source." I've seen this get screwed up way too many times to count.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. DanOregon

It isn't just that drivers are able to walk away - but it's really rare that a driver has to spend a night in a hosptal.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Although I do wonder, Dan, in light of Dale Junior's battle with concussion symptoms, how many drivers should've stayed overnight. How many concussions went undiagnosed for decades?

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

True. I wouldn't be surprised if there is pressure both for the post-clinic TV interview on-site to show you're ok and to give a shoutout to your sponsors.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That he wasn't killed instantly is a miracle.
    So far, so good.

HanSenSE, OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

This is a jarring most recent post from the (separated) wife who was at the track. Can’t imagine.

maumann likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Also listed in stable condition, going on seven years:

[​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An update an hour ago from Roush Fenway Racing doesn't offer any more info other than Newman is still in the hospital.

Draft saved Draft deleted