1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I've seen more of that recently for outfielder shifts based on each batter, but a pitcher? Not that I can remember. If they start using those huge college football sideline play cards, I'll be more impressed.

2. maumann

In addition of several cardboard dogs behind the plate at San Diego's Petco Park, there is a huge baby cutout that's only slightly smaller than the Baby Trump Balloon. Holy moly, that's scary to see on every pitch.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Presenting the Vans Sk8-Hi … now in baseball spikes.

poindexter and maumann like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I figured you could spike up Walmart shoes and be good.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Also at Petco Park: there is a big advertisement in the bullpen for Cutwater. It's on the wall behind the two pitching mounds.

They were playing the Diamondbacks and they had two pitchers warming up. On the camera shot of the bullpen the pitchers block a few letters on the left and right edges of the sign, turning the CUTWATER sign into a TWAT sign.

maumann likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I got home late Friday from a three-night stay at some campground between Loveland and Estes Park, and after everyone was in bed I got into the A’s-Angels game. I was, despite myself, enthralled.

I loved everything about it: the crowd noise, the goofy cutouts, the swings in elation and deflation as the score changed hands.

I didn’t expect to be drawn in, but I was. It wasn’t what I thought, but it was, as I found, just what I needed.

(Or maybe it was the effects from driving all 775 miles back.)

maumann likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’ve had a similar experience the last few days (though, just after walking from my dining room table to my couch after work).

I love baseball and knew I’d be happy if it could return and be played as safely as possible.

But the experience, with all the weirdness, is much better than expected. I was INTO the last few innings of Angels-A’s on Friday night. That’s not a normal thing for me. Used to be background noise while my mind was on five different things.

The ratings for the Yanks-Nats game on Thursday was the highest for a regular season game in nine years. That won’t last, but it’s a helluva number.

maumann likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think the only reason they pipe in sound for these crowdless games is to drown out all the cussing. Baseball, after all, is a game of failure.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

Wondering how long we'll have the National Pastime as a diversion. Matt Davidson of the Reds tested positive after playing in the opener. And San Diego's Eric Hosmer missed last night's game with "non-COVID" illness that sure sounds like COVID. It's a flimsy house of cards that could come crashing down at any moment.

For now, I'm holding my breath (mainly because I don't want to get sick).

I Should Coco and Fred siegle like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Stolen from a friend's Facebook page. Fox putting fans in Wrigley does ... not ... work.
    116154387_10220559282271116_2402061066117143955_n.jpg

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are worse places to be. ...

maumann likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Mets had three cutouts of dogs in the right field stands yesterday. One of the Braves hit a home run that hit one of the dogs and it was pretty funny listening to the booth crack on that.

Two of the dogs belong to Conforto and he said he wanted them out there with him.

The piped in noise hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. Hell, it helped. I had Nats-Yankees on last night and was barely paying attention while I read. I heard some cheers, looked up and saw a home run clear the fence.

The Nats lose to the Yankees when Max Scherzer starts and win when Eric Fedde starts. That's why I don't gamble.

maumann and Fred siegle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted