1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised Munson didn't have more support as a sort of sympathy vote, given how he died so early. To me, that says a lot about how electors viewed him.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was just starting out when the Munson HoF debate began, and it was most vehement. You never know how many electors didn't vote for him because he was a prick, but all of the arguments I heard were that he just didn't qualify. As a rule, the HoFers with short careers were utterly dominant for some period of that career, while Munson was never more than the second best catcher of his time. That's the one I heard most often, anyway. Outside of NY writers, he had little support I heard.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

He had the misfortune of playing in the same era as arguably the greatest catcher ever in Bench.

4. Michael_ Gee

This is true. However, the old-timers (at that time) said that back in the '50s, Yogi Berra and Roy Campanella were peers, each multiple MVPs, while Munson was never in the same ballpark as Bench. Consensus on Munson was damn fine player, not a Hall selection, although perhaps he would have been had his career not been cut short. This is like 1981 talking, remember.

5. CD Boogie

7-time All-Star in 11 seasons, AL MVP, ROY winner, two-time WS winner, five times in the top 10 in hitting, captain of the Yankees. Died tragically.

I mean, that is a HOF resume. And I say that as a Red Sox fan.

He must have been a Defcon 1 dick and the sportswriters held that against him; that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Munson was a gruff guy, but I don't think too many people thought he was an outright dick. As far as I know, he wasn't hated by the writers covering the Yankees. In fact, in the shitstorm Reggie Jackson caused with his mouth when he came over, sentiment was generally very pro Munson. The writers actually waived the 5 year rule to let him on the ballot after only 2 years, which would suggest they didn't hate him. He just didn't get a lot of support. Some of that may have been an anti-Yankees bias, not necessarily an anti-Munson thing. But I think it was mostly that the consensus was that he wasn't quite dominant enough to qualify, a la a Koufax, for a career that short. The year he went on the ballot, some of the players ahead of him in the voting were Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, Gil Hodges, Harmon Killebrew, Hoyt Wilhelm, Juan Marichal, Nellie Fox, Red Shcoendienst, Roger Maris, Orlando Cepeda. The next year, you could add Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson. The year after that Brooks Robinson. I think his 11 years just didn't stack up with the accomplishments of the players ready for induction at the time.

7. CD Boogie

BTW, man, I'm a little light on cash. Any chance you can advance me some of that money you owe me for when Eli Manning inevitably gets elected to the Hall of Fame?

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Fisk always was considered better than Munson
    As was mentioned earlier, he wasn’t a great defensive catcher and was at the point of his career where he’d have to move to first or DH

9. Michael_ Gee

If Munson had lived to have 5-7 more years in his career, no matter at what position, there's no doubt in my mind he'd have been elected to the Hall.

10. Jake from State Farm

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Munson was a better defensive catcher than Simmons, according to WAR. Much better.

12. Jake from State Farm

He was, but he wasn’t in the class of Bench or Fisk.

Draft saved Draft deleted