1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The line must be drawn here!

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. Della9250

The best case scenario was Miller, Simmons and Whitaker.

I'm stunned that they put Miller in.

I'm almost as stunned that Whitaker was tied for fifth in the voting, and he got as many votes as Garvey!!!!

Evans getting eight votes bodes well for a future induction. He went from never being considered to 4 votes shy on the first try.

Parker at seven votes in interesting -- in 2017 he got fewer than 7 votes (we don't know his exact number) but the four we know the actual totals for are all in -- Trammell and Morris went in that year and Simmons and Miller went in this time. I think when this group meets in again in 2022 he could be at the front of the line.

It looks obvious that it would be Evans and Parker or one of the two with Whitaker, because the drumbeat for him is going to get even loader over the next three years. I think people thought that since he was added to the ballot for the first time on the heels of the Morris-Trammell vote he would be a lock. But since he wasn't.....

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Happy they recognized Simmons finally, but really surprised by the totals for many others. Really thought Whitaker was a shoo-in after Trammell and Morris were elected, but he wasn’t even close.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Bout time Miller got in. Long overdue.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be an interesting and maybe awkward presentation when Miller is inducted, since as many have noted, he was quite insistent he didn't want a posthumous induction.

9. Della9250

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’m excited to see Simmons get in.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

If everyone loved Marvin Miller, he would have been in Cooperstown a long time ago. It's not just the owners who seemed to dislike him; he had that union stank that rankled a lot of people.

It's too bad his family is abiding by those wishes. If anyone should understand that the high road, once attained, is a good place to make further inroads, you'd think it'd be a union man.

12. CD Boogie

I can't wait to see the call from Jack O'Connell to Simmons telling him he's in. Those calls are awesome and get me every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted