1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He was with a friend from South Carolina the first weekend of the tournament who tested positive the following week and let Ratliff know. But he still drove back to Indy for the Sweet 16 game, even though he should not have attended by the event guidelines after a known exposure.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Shady is a requirement for the assistant who does the recruiting at a major conference men's D-1 basketball program.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bammer died doing what he loved.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So do suicide bombers

5. dixiehack

Cliche but essentially true. Now how many others from how many other fanbases did the same but didn’t hit a whammy on the wheel? They just passed it down the line to God knows who else instead.

Damnit I miss this stuff too. But irresponsibility with the finish line in sight is still irresponsibility.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The stories after he died were so vague about cause of death that many people thought it must involve suicide. Turns out that not only did he die of Covid but he was around people with direct access to the team. He may have been a good guy and an ultra fan, but he was dumb and irresponsible.

7. dixiehack

Which describes nearly all of us in our early 20s. Only by the grace of God was the world playing for penny ante stakes when I was gliding through Tuscaloosa as an oblivious fool convinced I was smart at that age.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Fat, drunk and infected is no way to go to the tournament, son.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. dixiehack

Somewhere along the way America started making heroes out of bullies. And the people who are allegedly the most Jesus-ed up are usually at the front of the worship line.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is the place for this, but the No. 3 prospect in the land has taken the G League route.
    Five-star prospect Jaden Hardy to sign with NBA G League Ignite over college basketball offers, per report

This got me thinking about the other outfits that managed to get attention when they announced their intentions to create an alternative to college basketball.
    The Overtime Elite thingy got all sorts of play in the Times, which didn't even tell us when the league planned to start. (The Post reported the answer is September of this year.)
    The breathless, cheerleading stories told us the league would start signing players as soon as high school seasons ended. I know the calendar is screwy and some states may still be playing, but as far as I can tell, crickets on this front.
    And then we have the Professional Collegiate League, which announced its plans in 2019 and still hasn't signed a player.
    The Professional Collegiate League is a nice concept, and in conjunction with the Overtime Elite, it may have been part of the movement to nudge legislatures -- and by extension the NCAA -- into action on NIL.
    But like so many start-up sports outfits, they're going to fold before playing a game.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Watch out for a very large hammer dropping from above.

Draft saved Draft deleted