1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Alabama needs to pay attention.

Driftwood, swingline and maumann like this.
  3. Driftwood

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

That's at the south end of the island where the beach is pretty flat. I read least night that TI lost about two feet of sand in that storm, but I didn't realize it was that bad. The worst part is the middle of the island didn't get the dunes replaced following last year's hurricane. They actually have equipment on the beach now trying to do it.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s raining at my house for the first time in seven months. Just putting it out here.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Heard something something about Fish Storm Sebastian on the radio this morning. Gotta admit when you make it to S, it's been a pretty busy year.

8. Driftwood

We still officially have nine days, but ....
    I think a half dozen storms became hurricanes with Cat 5 Dorian being the biggest threat to the U.S. It wrecked the Bahamas.

maumann likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

2005 was a doozy. Wilma's eye passed over my house on Oct. 24, and they eventually ran through the alphabet and finished with Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon and Zeta.

maumann likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

My three favorite Greek letters: Zeta Eta Theta.

11. Driftwood

Today officially marks the end of the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane season.

This was the fourth consecutive year of above average activity. It ties with 1969 at the fourth-most active season in history. We had 18 named storms.

I was on the beach yesterday, and it was very nice for this time of year: sunny, about 60 degrees, slightly breezy. It wasn't weather for sunbathers, but to stroll along with the sun on your face, the sound of the waves in your ears, and the scent of the Atlantic in your nose ... there wasn't another place on this planet or any other I wanted to be.

I will add that the dune damage from Hurricane Florence in 2018 - yeah, more than a year ago - is just now getting fixed in my area because of bureaucratic bull crap.

That's all until next season.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. Driftwood

Draft saved Draft deleted