1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I kinda think it was Floyd, but don't remember exactly because I wasn't with her ... but my wife was in downtown Wilmington in the hours after a storm, and some TV talking head with the cameras rolling was really leaning into a stop sign to illustrate the wind... except it was about as calm as anything.

maumann likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hear you, but I cannot honestly figure out if they're really rednecks or if strictly playing that schtick plays well to their audience. Not terribly impressed either way.

Couldn't care less what Jim Cantore did during Floyd. Nothing said or reported was going to slow down the floodwaters. The closest thing to flooding I've ever seen ... and I endured Floyd and a few typhoons on the other side of the world ...

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Princeville got flooded against with Matthew three years ago. I wish there were a way to convince the folks there that continuing to rebuild there is an exercise in futility, and not a blatant attempt at racism. There has to be a way to put what was Princeville in a safer place that isn't the first to be flooded out.

I spent the night at our rental building at RDU International ... was as safe as anyplace else. One manager, one revenue manager and me. One of the counter folks who owned a vehicle similar to mine at the time - and knew how to work a manual transmission - moved my vehicle to give me a little more time to sleep. Then I got up and put in about 15 hours before driving around more trees and downed poles and power lines than I ever want to see again over what is usually 70 miles. The last mile or so was the worst, and I was fearing that the house was messed up. It was fine ... but the yard was the classic post-hurricane mess and neighborhood and main access road needed tree cleanup as well as replacement of some snapped utility poles.

It took 3-4 days to restore power. It took longer than that to get the cleanup on the massive scale needed to look somewhat recovered.

maumann likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BitterYoungMatador2 and maumann like this.
  5. Driftwood

The graphic in the corner says Florence. I know for sure it wasn't Florence. Whatever she talked about was before we were married, not last year. It's still the same principle, though.

6. Driftwood

To each his own. I've been a faithful listener to The Big Show for 25 years. I only get to hear about 10 minutes each morning on my way to work, but it's still an important part of my day. I've met both hosts and enjoy the entertainment. They have done well for themselves playing a part. I actually got a personal shoutout from Jackie on air once following a meeting we had.

7. Driftwood

PTC 9* is just east of the Bahamas, and the projected cone matches Dorian's almost identically.
    Nothing so far indicates it's going to actually form into a full blown hurricane, but the ocean temps in the Gulf Stream are in the mid 80s right now, which could fuel it.
    Florida should start seeing some tropical storm force winds by Saturday morning, Georgia by Sunday evening, and the Carolinas Monday and Tuesday.
    The biggest threat as of Friday morning seems to be the thing dumping a bunch of rain all the way up the coast and potential flash flooding.

*That's Potential Tropical Cyclone for those who don't geek on this stuff

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What about Alabama? Should the state be evacuated?

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Driftwood

I posted in the politics thread to let Kansas know.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Keep calm and carry on, my wayward son.

11. Driftwood

Looks like Humberto is going to do like I mentioned: It's going to get over the Gulf Stream, intensify, and pick up hurricane status just as it takes a hard right turn out into the open ocean tomorrow. I hope it stays there.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yep. Humberto's rain bands are currently well north and east of Abaco. Even if it gains strength, it's already on a path eventually steering it northeast. Now on to Invest 96L ...

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted